Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:22:30 -0800
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      [NVC] Re: Suicide ad - VW

Pulling the ad could be viewed either as a gutless act, or the action of a company that frankly didn't know that to some suicide just ain't funny (even if committed by an industrial robot) and didn't want to be viewed as inconsiderate a$$holes.

It's hardly a loss, anyway -- it was just an okay ad and was not likely to change anyone's life for the better.

That said, I agree that European, Japanese, and South American TV ads often cross boundaries that few U.S. companies would care to cross, and are often much funnier as a result.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Matt Drew typed: > Yeah, it's sad alright . . . > > As a GM Ad Exec I can say that we were ALL (the ad agency) absolutely > amazed > when we'd heard the news that "Robot" was being changed and that the robot > was not going to take the plunge. > > The discussion around the water cooler that day initially focused on > American vs. European advertising (we see advertising that would never even > make it through an American brainstorming session!), but then the bigger > picture came up - the PC Police. > > I'm just sad that GM didn't grow a pair and stick with their original > response, which was "You gotta be KIDDIN' me!". > > Hey, anyone know of any European agencies that are hiring? > > :) > > Matt Drew > '90 GL "Blackbeard" > > > > Ryan Alfonso <vangina@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2014998,00.html >> >> >> >> Are you kidding me?! >> Yes suicide is sad(i knew people who past away due to it, and i know >> people who have tried unsuccessfully)... But this country plays to >> cries of >> all the oversensitive politically correct nazi's too much. It was a >> funny >> commercial i don't care what the rest say. And the GM add was funny too, >> because it was a fr*%k'n ROBOT. >> >> >