Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:42:47 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: LVC: Tools- tranny swap success/ Gearwrenches and Harbor
              Frieght Tranny Jack

I want to chime in on behalf of the gear wrenches. They are a tool that I thought was pretty useless until I needed one... I quickly bought more. They speed up a lot of general nut and bolt removal and replacement, and they can get to some things (speaking 2.1 and diesel here) that you almost can't get any other way. I only bought the 10, 12, and 13, and I used them all the time. I don't know if they 17 and 19 would put up with the abuse they get, but I didn't think the smaller wrenches would either--they do.

When it comes to pulling the engine or transmission, the cost of the rest of the set might be better spend on an air wrench. It doesn't get amy faster than that, and such work is about the only thing the air wrench is fit for--at least the one I have.

Horrible Freight makes a transmission adapter for any jack with a 1" hole in the saddle. It's OK for the money, but pretty useless on a vanagon as once you get the vanagon high enough to clear the jack, transmission cradle and transmission (I couldn't) you probably couldn't reach the engine from the ground.

Jim