Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:03:39 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Anyone ever use standard awning rails on a vanagon?

Old school campers often used an aluminum extrusion to attach awnings. In cross section, these extrusions look like a C-shape with a flat backing. A the hemmed edge of the awing slides into the C- shape, and the flat backing part is used to screw the extrusion to the side of a camper above the door.

My parents' old camper has one of these that works great and is very easy to set up. They are still listed in RV catalogs, and are called standard awning rails. Any canvas shop cam make an awning to fit out of almost any material, all they do is hem in a 1/4 diameter flexible cord to slide into the C-shape.

The advantages to using such a rig are several: cheap, strong, and add but a pound or so to the weight of the camper (not counting the awning cloth and poles), near-zero wind drag, no change in appearance when the awning is not up, nothing to be out in the elements when not in use, no moving parts, and, finally, a rain-tight seal above the doorway.

The disadvantages: I don't know if they can be mounted on a vanagon! I measured from my poptop seal to the bottom of the rain gutter, and it looks like there's about 7/8 inch available before a plate would interfere with the seal. The width of a standard awning rail is 1 3/16 inches. From the illustration in the catalog, it looks like an enterprising and patient person could remove a part of the backing plate that looks like it was meant to take a rubber cord-style gasket, and get the width down to less 7/8 inch, than but I'm not sure about that. It also may be that the poptop seals can deal with an extra eighth-inch of material under them, but I'm not sure about that, either. I don't want to try something like this and then find I have air or water leaks or that the top and seals are being deformed by it.

Anyone with any experience or ideas?

Thanks,

Jim