Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:49:27 -0500
From:         Ronald Michaels <rbm1024@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: OFF TOPIC! Re: XM and Sirius announce merger

All Vanagon Content All the Time!

My first Vanagon is a 84 Westy that my wife bought with the assumption that I could get it running &#8211; no problem. After a few months she went out and bought a 85 that ran (all the way to Redding CA).

I noticed that someone on the Subaru Vanagon list thought that the radiator hoses on his Vanagon were reversed at the front. That got me thinking about the 84.

When I first started looking at it I discovered that someone had put motor oil in the coolant overflow tank instead of the oil filler tube and some had gotten over into the coolant. So I cleaned out all of that.

I noticed that the 84 had new coolant hoses across the front of the engine compartment but the hose supports didn't fit. While I was looking I noticed that one of the CV joints had a torn boot. So, I decided to replace all four &#8211; it is little more work than inspecting and re lubricating the existing joints. While I was working on the driver's side I noticed that the automatic transmission dipstick was rubbing on the CV joint.

I got the engine started and noticed that the exhaust was really rich. Bad Oxygen sensor, which I have not yet been able to get unstuck.

The engine runs but had a clicking coming from the torque converter area. Lo and behold, the bolts holding the torque converter were loose. I took out the old bolts and put in new ones. The first bolt that I took out was what I used to buy new ones from McMaster. Of the remaining bolts, one did not match the others. The odds were in my favor.

After studying my Bentleys, I discovered that the coolant hoses were connected backwards and a support that should be at the end of the dipstick tube was missing. I have fabricated a new dipstick support, but I have not fixed the hoses because I am not driving the vehicle.

Once I patched up the rusted out places in the exhaust pipes, I could hear the knock in the engine.

Up at the front I was looking at the brakes and I noticed that they were the large disk aftermarket disks, but the steel hose was not supported where it connected to the flexible hose and left free to vibrate and crack.

Oh, and the taillights were put in upside down. They were filled with water. The CD player works, but the radio reception is dead. I suppose I could upgrade to XM or Sirius now that I know where to put the thing, thanks to the list.

Conclusion: PO replaced the transmission and while he was at it he replaced the hoses. He sold the van to someone who later sold it to my wife because it overheated. (price was right)

My goal this summer is to put together a low budget engine rebuild using parts off of the original engine, the engine I got (thanks Sadir!) and the old engine from my 85 Westy that is coming home. (grease monkey content)

Ron