Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:09:28 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux battery tyro

Ron,

I have done several dual battery systems for hire and the set-up of choice is a optima yellow or blue-top for auxilliary with a 4-way marine type high-amperage switch.

I was heavily influence by a very readable book called " Living on 12 Volts with ample power".

The author reccommends the high-amperage switch over the isolator, claiming the isolator lowers the charging voltage by amost 1 Volt.

Using a switch offers more options. You can charge both batteries in tandem, or each individually. The swich also allows you to switch off all power to your car when performing work, or during storage, etc.

The ideal location for aux battery and swich is under the rear seat, or in the cubby -hole small cabinet next to the fridge. This cabinet has a partition that can be removed permanently to make room for the battery, thereby maintaining the original . space. In the ten years In have had dual batteries and boat switch, I have never needed a jump.

Using heavy guage battery cables for both batteries allows teaming up both batteries when needed for extra cranking amperage.

Both batteries receive equal charging so long as they are similiar is age and amp rating.

The isolator offers convenience, but there is no need to be contantly switcing from one to tow and both. I leave it on both , except when camping for a few days in one place. then I switch to aux.

An optima blue -top marine deep cycle and starting battery is ideal. It is designed to be drawn down more nthan a standard cranking battery yet deliver the amps for hard cranking if needed.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

____________________________________________________________________________________ Have a burning question? Go to www.Answers.yahoo.com and get answers from real people who know.