Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:40:52 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux battery tyro
Comments: To: Ron Komoroski <motresyklman@LYNCHBURG.NET>

Ron,

Reams have been written in answer to the questions you pose on this list, the syncro list, and other Vanagon related lists.

Obviously hundreds of people have done it already.

There isn't a best battery, way to do it, etc.

A standard starting battery will do and for most people will be the cheapest way to go and it very reliable. Hundreds of posts about battery choices have never shown this to be wrong, just that others prefer other things.

A simple kit available from the Bus Depot for less than $25 will do the job just fine despite lots of erroneous info to the contrary. It has a schematic diagram.

It takes connecting one wire connected to a source that is only hot when the engine is on to the trigger wire on the relay, grounding the trigger circuit neg spade, grounding the auxiliary battery, and connecting a supplied wire of the appropriate size from the starter battery to the relay and then from the relay on to the auxiliary battery.

Auxiliary appliances, radio, etc. can then be wired off the positive post of the 2nd battery as you see fit in terms of level of complexity, switching, etc. Just make it safe.

There are also lots of web sites where people show their wiring setups for accessories and their 2nd battery setup. Many are unnecessarily complex and expensive overkill for most people's needs.

The relay system was used by VW for 2nd battery setups and has been used by hundreds of others with success.