Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:08:53 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux battery tyro

The isolator or combiner , and of course the relay combiner , are a matter of convenience based on your view of convenience.

By "your" I'm not singling you or anyone out,out, but the Vanagon owner in general.

Below are listed the the main advantages of the high-amperage switch system:

1. Allows for teaming up both batteries for charging and cranking

2. Eliminates the need to run load wires to the AUX battery

3. Allows all power to be shut off for storage or maintenance /repair work on vehicle whenever the manual calls for disconnecting the battery.

4. Is relatively simple to install with a drill and wire cutters/crimpers.

5. Allows for full battery charging output to both batteries without modifying the alternator regulator

In addition, most auxilliary battery systems promoted for Vanagons locate the battery in the spare box behind the driver. This is an akward location in the Westfalia, and for an Optima to be used there, generally it means cutting off the top posts voiding the battery warranty.

This also a more difficult area to run large amperage cables. Keeping the spare battery in the rear places it closer to the starter, where with the use of battery size cables, avoids the voltage drop that occurs with longer cable runs.

In my humble opinion, the 4-way boat switch (other than the expensive processor-controlled switch) , is the best choice for extended back-country trips where ou may not see another car for days.

I ran the isolators for years until I discovered the switch. Much of my installations for hire is for folks who have the isolators. Isolators can have the problem of sensing the voltage level in one battery, the usually the main battery.

As the book by Ample Power puts it , my close paraphrase" The regulator senses the charge of the main battery first, which tapers back the charge, causing the auxilliary to "languish" in an undercharged state.

If the main battery is getting all of it's current from the alternator through standard guage battery cables, and the aux is getting it from skinny low -amperage small guage wiring, that the main will charge first.

The book Living on 12 Volts With Ample Power is written by electronics engineers.

In this book they also warn against using the relay charging system, for us that's the popular hella facotry dual battery relay kit.

The warning is that a surge of current from a hevaily discharged auxilliary battery can draw more current than the wires can handle causing a possible fire hazard from overheating wires aas current rushes in from the main fully charged and charging battery.

Ample power also has another book I recommend, called the 12 Volt Bible. You can check these out from most libraries.

True, the isolator may be perfect for the casual owner who rarely spends much time out on extended -use situations. But for me, if I am going to use an auxilliry battery, I think the switch is best. It's the absolute necessity if you need to give yourself a jump .

Robert

1982 Westfalia

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't pick lemons. See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html