Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:44:47 -0500
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone ever use standard awning rails on a vanagon?

Jim, Jim Here is my experience with both types of awnings In addition to my Vanagon for use in North America, I keep a similar campervan in Australia, where I travel for several months at a time.

The previous owner had installed a fully-self-contained, roll-out awning that mounted to the rain gutter, with stabilizing supports that extended downwards on the pillars of the van. The advantage of this type of awning is ease of use; it's always at the ready, and can be quickly rolled out for even just a roadside stop in the hot sun. However, after driving many, many miles of corrugated gravel roads, the vibrations acting on the awning, which in turn acted upon the mounting points, caused major damage to the pillars and unwanted wear on the gutters. I removed the roll-out awning and sold it, and had the bodywork on the van repaired and repainted. I then looked at the Fiamma awning, but determined that the mounting system was not much different than the one removed, and thus inadequate for extended rough-road travel (if anyone with a Fiamma cares to disabuse me of this notion, I'd appreciate hearing from you).

I then installed just what you described, an extruded aluminum track with a "C" section to receive a canvas awning, which has a small rope sewn in the hem. In Australia, this extrusion is available at any tent and awning fabricator, since many, if not most of the awnings are fitted to the vehicles and caravans (camp trailers)in this manner. There, this extrusion is also called a sail track, either because it is similar to the groove or metal fitting on the trailing edge of the mast and the top of the boom that receives the lugs of the sail on a sail boat, or it may actually be a sail track on some type of boat (I have no experience with sail boats). Incidentally, this extrusion had the mounting flange only on one side, and the width was no more than 1".

The advantages of this awning are (some of which you mentioned): it's less expensive than a roll-out awning; it's not on the van when not in use, so is not subject to being knocked around on rough roads and is not there to catch brush and branches when the road is flanked by such; there is a positive seal between the awning and the van, so no water gets in above the sliding door, which due to the curvature of the van will be inside the van if the door is open; and properly guyed and staked, it will withstand all but the strongest wind.

The disadvantages are it takes longer to set up, and two or three poles are required along the outer edge, together with guy lines staked to the ground (which can be a tripping hazard); the canvas, the poles, the guy lines, and the stakes must be stored in the van when not in use, though this would be a good item for the luggage carrier up top; if it's put away wet, it's more involved to open it up to the sun to dry when the opportunity presents itself, to avoid mildew. I find I rarely use it unless I'm camped in the same spot for more than one day and need the shade, or it's really raining hard. It's not worth the bother for short term use.

One also sees a hybrid of the two: an awning which mounts into the sail track, but which also has a larger dowel or aluminum tube inserted into a hem along the outer edge of the awning as an aid to rolling it up against the van, where it is secured with straps (which are captured between the sail track and the van body).

I also installed a ten-foot long sail track on the off-side, and I have a mini awning made of light-weight rip-stop nylon, about eight feet wide and four feet deep which I angle down and away from the van with guy ropes and stakes to shade the off-side when it's really hot; in such conditions this bit of extra shade has a positive affect on the operation of the refrigerator.

As much as I would like the ease of use associated with a Fiamma awning on my Vanagon here, I frequently use the full capabilities of the syncro on rough and narrow roads to reach camping spots inaccessable to larger rigs, so I will probably duplicate the awning configuration of my other campervan. I don't see any problem fitting the sail track to the Vanagon if I find the same narrow, single-sided flange type of extrusion. This is not a priority for me right now, but one bit of advice if you do this. At the cut ends of the extrusion, file a taper on both sides of the entrance to the "C" section, and sand it smooth. This will aid in threading the awning into the sail track.

Bill