Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:39:24 -0800
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Vanagon GL ATF Cooler

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:41:11 -0800 From: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

> Phil wrote: > > The type of Cooler I settled on was a fluid to fluid type. > Plumbs into the Van's cooling system. > On the return line from the Radiator, between the Thermostat-Housing > and the end of the Plastic return-line. Omits two expensive hoses from > the cooling system and supplies the coolest-coolant to the Cooler!

John wrote: Yeah, but only when the thermostat is open! ---------

Yes John, I fully agree with you here. I cannot conceive of a condition where this would be a problem or issue? Works like a stock cooling system, AFAIK. If you see a problem or issue please hit me with a soft-blow hammer to wake me up.... 8-)

Omits having to install another thermostat to the AT cooler (ATF part) as would be the case with an air-air cooler.

With the engine thermostat closed, both AT & Engine warm up together, as thermostat opens, they both begin cooling from the Rad. Same as the stock cooling system but with a twist.

As mentioned, a couple less hoses to blow. The hoses for the AT equipped Vans are exorbitantly expensive. The system I plan, omits both these $200 hoses.

The real gain I hope to accomplish with this modification are under the harsh conditions of crawling up a goat-track on a hot day, engine revving, Rad Fan on high, temperatures of both engine and AT climbing. Not a pretty sight when AT temps are going above 200 F.

In the stock cooling system, the AT receives its coolant from the outlet of the engine at the coolants hottest point in the system. Circulates to the AT cooler and returns to the engine even hotter than before, only to continue cycling in this fashion. I see this as only adding to the overall heat gain back at the engine and significantly to the AT.

In my proposed system, the AT receives coolant from the Rad return line, the coolest part in the cooling system, short of up front at the outlet from the Radiator.

The stock OEM ATF coolers are good units, work well but, are not optimum under the condition I describe above. Will the one I propose to utilize work better? Hope so and as yet, only my ATF temp gauge knows for sure. On the stock system it is telling me, things are getting way-too hot when climbing on a hot day. At 230-240 F I pull over and rest it awhile. Cools down to engine temperatures surprisingly fast.

By Spring I hope to have the Aeroquip Cooler installed and will go climb some hills and see.... Wish me luck.

regards Phil Z. Campbell River.