Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:40:27 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stereo Suggestions

Volks, on the no expenses spared (well, some was spared), my Stereo set up has been admired by a few foks (usually under the age of 18...)

It was a Pioneer AVIC N2 (I swapped it out for a Pioneer AVIC N3...the N2 will reappear in another vehicle). This is an in-dash DVD navigation stereo. It has a 6 1/2 inch display that pivots out of the unit and just tilts back enough even with the padded dash of my 1991 camper. I also have a Sirius satellite add-on (the Pioneer is satellite radio ready, and will work with both Sirius and XM). I also have the iPod adapter for it (the N3 has much better iPod support than the N2, which was fairly primitive.)

The navigation system is quite good (though a few roads that I travel in WV are out of date.) The Pioneer can also play DVD movies (though not when the vehicle is in motion.)

I also have it equipped with the optional back up camera. Mounted above the little tray table in the back, this is extremely useful in a Westy. When you switch to reverse the camera is automatically engaged and the display on the unit shows what's behind you. Tends to ensure you keep your rear window clean too. :)

I've never gotten XM, but they apparently also have a traffic service (which this unit supports) which will update the maps with live traffic data. I figure that would be really useful in Los Angeles, but in the DC area, it is considerably less useful.

I did the install myself (which no doubt saved a boat load of installation costs.) Much of the add ons are hideaway units. I stuck these below the bottom shelf of the cabinet (otherwise unused space.)

This wasn't cheap (hey, the lifetime Sirius subscription was $500 alone), but I've got a nice system that will play tunes and news just about anywhere I can drive to. Sirius has traffic stations for 20 US cities, which has proven useful when I've gone to Chicago, Boston, or New York, not to mention my local area of Baltimore and Washington DC. The traffic stations alternate with weather for those locales, which is also nice extra info.

The only thing I'm missing that I want (well, I'll skip over DVD- Audio support) is HD Radio. Pioneer hasn't yet supported that. Time will tell if they'll come on board.