Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:45:47 -0800
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: your favorite 12 V accessory
Comments: cc: Jacquie <jacquiecohen@adelphia.net>

12V electric blanket, eh? Mrs Squirrel runs colder than I do. Even with two down comforters, flannel sheets, and a fleece blanket she buries her head under the covers in <50F weather. So I'm always looking for ways to make her more comfortable. I would score points with Mrs Squirrel if I got her one of these blankets, and since happy wife means happy life, scoring points is good.

But first I gotta do the math. Typical current usage for single-person electric blankets and bed warmers seem to be about 4 amperes. Over a 9-hour period (a Mrs Squirrel good night's sleep) this would pull 36Ah from the battery because I guarantee she'd set the control on "full" and run it all night long. Presently, a typical night's electrical usage draws the 100Ah aux battery down about 15% (15Ah, typ.), so adding the electric blanket would increase the depth of discharge to over 50%. That's acceptable assuming that I will have enough sunlight the next day in camp to charge it back to 100%. With 15% discharge the panels bring the battery back to 100% by midmorning, so topping off a 50% discharged battery should be possible by mid afternoon. As Dr. Frederick Frankenstein says in "Young Frankenstein," "It . . . could . . . WORK!"

...As long as Mrs Squirrel is mindful about her usage.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Jim Akiba typed: > 12v electric blanket, esp in this weather!! > > You can stay warm even with the van off for long periods of time without > having to worry about a dead battery. Good, easily stashable purchase. > > Jim Akiba > > -----Original Message----- > From: Troy [mailto:colorworks@GCI.NET] > Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:07 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: your favorite 12 V accessory > > Hi there: > > In the process of installing my second, auxiliary battery, which got me to > thinking about 12 V accessory items now that I have a battery to run them. A > quick search on eBay reveals dozens of 12 volt accessories, so many in fact, > it can leave a person's head spinning. There's everything from electric > blankets, coffee makers, vacuums, air compressors, trouble lights, fans, oil > pumps-- presumably to change your oil without removing the engine drain > plug-- if you would believe, coolers, the list goes on and on. > > I thought that a trouble light with a long cord would be useful, perhaps an > air compressor, if it actually worked, and maybe an ice chest, assuming it > didn't draw too much power to supplement the rather small onboard fridge. > > Anyone care to share their thoughts as to what 12 volt accessory items > they've purchased they found useful, what is junk or what not to purchase. > Particular brand names would be useful, as well as sources. > > Thanks! > > Troy > 89 Westy >