Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:10:57 -0600
From:         Jane Meggers <jane.meggers@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      91 Vanagon Carat with oil pressure anomoly for sale

We are currently getting our Vanagon ready to sell, so have been searching this list for new information about the problem common in the dynamic oil pressure system where the light/buzzer comes on at low rpms. Since it is winter now the problem doesn't occur, and I wonder if the check ball and spring would still show the sticking problem (from list postings in May last year) if that is the culprit. The only other thing we haven't done is change the oil viscosity in warm weather. This van has about 95K miles and we are the only owners. The problem has been checked out several times since it started happening probably 8-9 years--maybe 10,000 miles ago and we were told everything was fine and it was likely just a problem well known with the dynamic sensing system. But just the last time we drove it we heard a knocking noise from the valves when it first started. After about 5 minutes it went away and the engine purred like usual. The shop mentioned bleeding the valves, but I am concerned it is related to the oil pressure problem. I was on this list 3 years ago and had several offers for the Vanagon but couldn't bring ourselves to sell it since it is such a great driving vehicle and has taken us on some very cool trips. Now our son lives in Switzerland and our travelling is usually trans-Atlantic so the van mainly sits in the car port which isn't good for it. Also here in Iowa it is very difficult to find mechanics who will work on old Vdubs. This is a Wolfsburg edition, red, and a beautiful original one-owner van. The AC was switched to non-freon and now won't hold a charge, and the cruise doesn't work. It has a high power stereo amp and bass booster under the back seat. We will sell it cheap to a good home and drive it to a buyer (best offer over $3000) within reasonable distance. I can send images by email. Jane and Mike Meggers