Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:56:33 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water pump replacement
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

Greg,

It has been bad enough trying to do work lately down here in Baltimore. I have numerous splits on my hands from when they got too cold. I am sure it is worse up there.

There are excellent write ups with pictures on Tom Carrington (1.9) and Ben Huot's (2.1) web pages on how to do this job, maybe on others. Which ever one of these is appropriate for your van is probably all you will need to know - much better than Bentley.

http://volksweb.relitech.com/19wpump.htm http://www.benplace.com/water_pump.htm

Every person on these lists should have these two web sites (and quite a few others) book marked in a bookmark folder for Vanagon repair tips so you can check them for a write up anytime you have a problem. The amount of time that Ben has put into building a web page that can help us through many problems is incredible. Tom's is great also though just not as extensive as Ben's. Both deserve our appreciation.

I think it varies slightly between the two engines though I think you are talking 1.9 but can't remember.

Time depends greatly on just how many stuck bolts you encounter. I did this job on a 2.1 and spent at least 1.3 of my time fighting one 6 or 8 mm Allen head bolt that is notorious for being stuck. It is way down on the left side of the engine around / somewhat behind one of the large pulley wheels and can only be reached by a shortened Allen head bolt. Mine stripped and I ended up cutting a notch in it somehow and blasting away on it with a chisel until it finally broke loose and turned 1/4 turn or so.

There is sometimes a problem with one of the holes in the replacement pump not being tapped deep enough and washers being needed to properly tighten it up. NAPA replacement pump - see the attached file which has a couple of posts - happened on both types of engine.

Start now and put PB Blaster or some other superior penetrating oil on every bolt, nut, etc. Do this a few times before hand even if you are going to give it to a shop to quicken the process.

Sam

-- Sam Walters

Baltimore, MD

Water Pump Replacement (1983-1991 Vanagons) From: huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jerry Huff)

I replaced the water pump on my '84 back in June. My pump had a slight leak from the drain hole as well as an intermittent jangling kind of metallic rattle.

Slide under the back of the van and look at the under side of the water pump just above the oil filter and see if there is any evidence that there has been a discharge from the drain hole. If there is, that indicates coolant is getting to the bearings and failure is eminent.

The replacement was fairly straight forward. I did not drain the cooling system as described in the Bentley. Instead I just siphoned the reservoir empty and then placed a pan under the pump to catch the rest. I did have a problem with the NAPA replacement pump. There are two bolts that pass through the thermostat housing and anchor inside of the water pump. One of those bolt holes was not tapped deep enough in the water pump, so the bolt bottomed out prior to doing its intended job. A few spacer washers took care of the problem, but what a pain in the ass to hear coolant splashing on the garage floor when you are sure that everything is tight.

The only tool I had to purchase was a metric allen wrench to remove the metal cross pipe that connects the two heads. Other tools used were a 3/8" drive, metric sockets, universal joint, various extensions, siphon hose, catch pan and pliers for the hose clamps.

P.S. I paid $81 for the NAPA pump. VW wanted $137. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 From: "Dan Soiney" <soineydg@mail.milwaukee.k12.wi.us>

I just changed the water pump on the 87 syncro. A few tips... 1. Loosen all the belts, don't take them off, just move them out of the way. 2. Use two ratchets in opposition to remove the pump pulley bolts, use a long bolt that will catch somewhere to remove the last bolt. 3. Upon re assembly, make sure the new pump has the coolant line bolt holes are machined to the correct depth, or they will feel tight, but won't seal. Use washers if necessary 4. When reassembling pulley,use the long bolt to get the 2 bolts tight, and then use loctite to hold the third in, as it is difficult to really tighten. 5. Check belts carefully before starting up engine!