Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:07:10 -0700
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Tales from Europe the VW camper shape and ailments (part 4)

From previous episodes you know that after some learning and searching I managed to buy and register a 1985 VW Westfalia in Germany. I did a little travel with it in Germany, through Switzerland, and I'm now in Grenoble, France. Having to park here in France I'm glad I stuck with the T3, and didn't get a T4 long. The T3 just barely fits into the regular parking spots here, and the short turn radius really helps getting in and out of tight situations. Likewise, in southern France or Italy, it's no point having something too expensive, as the risk of getting it dented, vandalized or stolen is pretty high unless you really have local knowledge of where to go and not to go.

At first I thought the 1.9l engine was a bit weak, and maybe not quite right, but compression tested ok (140-160psi - though my compression tester might read a bit optimistically. Not sure how to verify this since I only have one), and top speed is adequate at about 130km/h. On hwy I mostly drive a comfortable 100-110km/h. It's just that acceleration is slooow. Much slower than with my 1.9 TD conversion in Canada. On the plus side it is much quiter than the Diesel, and even a bit quieter than the 2.1's I tested. Hwy it seems to use about 12-13l/100km, which is reasonable compared to my 94 gas westy at home. While the Diesel uses less (8-10), its higher purchase price and higher tax here only makes it economical if one travels a lot. Gas and Diesel prices in France are about 1.15 Euro/litre. In Germany similar. In Switzerland oddly gas was much cheaper (Eur 0.95/l), but Diesel about the same.

The engine has a bit of a jerk when going from coasting to acceleration and vice-versa. I suspect something is a bit sloppy in the drivetrain. Likely the transverse springs in the clutchplate perhaps. I'm not up to pulling the engine and tranny apart though...

On my pre-purchase inspection the heads were dry after the test drive, but now after 2 weeks and 1000km I have occasionally seen a few drops. It happened just three times in the two weeks though, but may be a beginning head gasket seep. Is this likely to get worse rapidly?

Could also be something else leaking, e.g. the connection between the pressure and overflow tank. I'll have to try to check more carefully if the drops re-occur.

After a bit of fiddling I managed to get the appliances to work. Many Germans think the there periodically required LPG system inspection is too expensive and I saw several campers where the underbody gas tank had been removed to avoid this. Instead they use a BBQ type portable tank, (that they remove at time of inspection) and get around the check. (though technically they shouldn't it seems to work in practice). Same in the van I purchased, so I had to pick up a 5kg BBQ tank, that the PO had made a compartment for near the sliding door.

The fridge is tricky to start. I found out that it is really sensitive to having the right gas pressure. I believe it's supposed to be 50mbar, right?

I probably have a crappy regulator, as I can notice the gas pressure dropping when I turn on e.g. the second stove burner. Are the normal regulators sold in hardware stores (e.g. for garden BBQ's) of the right pressure for the Westy? Then I could easily buy and try a replacement.

Martin