Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:05:04 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil drain problem
Comments: To: Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net>

The drill is quite large. If you don't have a large tap handle, you could chuck it in a socket and use your ratchet handle to turn it. Being a 14mm drill though, it won't fit in most 1/2" drill chucks. Getting a smooth round hole by turning a spiral-slute drill by hand was not a reality. I found that once the spiral had pulled the drill all the way into the hole that pulling down firmly without letting the drill turn helped to smooth out the bore.

I used Crisco on the drill and tap to keep the swarf stuck to it and out of the case.

The enclosed instructions indicate that as you drive the insert in (well-oiled tool is a must) it will start to tighten up. Then, continue turning until it sort of breaks free. This last bit of resistance is supposed ot be the tool expanding the end of the insert. I found this to be a very subtle moment. I was concerned that I was simply going to strip the newly-tapped hole. In the ened I decided I had felt a distinctive tightening and then release of tension and the insert held tight so I gues I got it right.

Bon chance,

mordo

On 2/23/07, Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net> wrote: > > ok i was plaged with this just this past thursday, i ordered a timesert > from aircooled. > question to those that have installed this, what the best way to get > working on it? they show a drill > on the website, i can use a tap handle? or just get the drill under the > bus and get it this way.. > > Thanks > Joe > > -----Original Message----- > >From: mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM> > >Sent: Feb 23, 2007 6:15 AM > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Oil drain problem > > > >I did the Timesert repair recently and can confirm that it is a good > system > >and a well made kit of tools. It would not appear from the manufacturer's > >description that thread adhesive is necessary. The insert installing tool > is > >supposed to expand the insert thus locking it in to the hole. I will be > most > >disappointed if the insert backs out the next time I loosen the drain > plug. > > > >If it hasn't been mentioned, Aircooled.net rents the kit for $25 plu the > >cost of inserts you request. The tool kit retails for minimum $108 US. > > > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- > >From: Ed Wiebe <wiebeis@shaw.ca> > >Date: Feb 22, 2007 7:59 PM > >Subject: Re: Oil drain problem > >To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > >This is a follow up post. I did some research and found a very > informative > >site here: http://www.timesert.com/ > >It gives instructions on how to install Timeserts, what sizes are needed > for > >certain engines including Vanagons. > >I don't think I'll need to go to the oversize Timeserts, which are > >recommended in cases where the thread is damaged in the aluminium > block. If > >that is the case, then I would also rethread for the larger diameter > insert. > >I will certainly use the red Locktite. > >By the way, it was a new copper washer that was used and is now stuck > >between the plug and the Timesert. > >From now on I'll use nylon washers. > >Next post should be to report success sometime in the near future. > > > >Ed Wiebe > >1990 Westfalia > > > > > >-- > >mordo > >1990 Carat > >

-- mordo 1990 Carat