Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:41:38 -0500
From:         Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      EKTA request (and advice) Exhaust 2.1

As spring is approaching I'll be pulling the cover off of my van. I know from last year I have two things I need to address:

Problem #1 tailpipe has visible hole, exhaust is loud (I have no reference for the sound level of a vanagon though), muffler and tailpipe are one piece, I know enough that this is not stock. I'd like to replace the muffler and tailpipe, I'm not sure what else I'll need in the way of hangars and what not. Once the snow melts I'll crawl behind the van and compare the existing exhaust to any pictures in the bentleys and hopefully a printout from EKTA.

Problem #2 This began right before I put the van away for the winter, oil light and buzzer after slowing down from a highway run. Light goes out and buzzing stops when I accelerate, this has only happened twice. I did change oil in between the two episodes used an OEM filter from the dealership and 20/50 oil. Oil level is fine. Where should I start? I have read some archives and saved a few posts for reference and I know there is alot of information out there. What I have read and remember basically states get a "real" oil pressure guage, well that is not in the cards right at this moment. I'd like to rule out any problems with the warning system first, does this seem like an ok strategy?

Thanks for any and all advice, I'd especially like that EKTA page for exhaust parts for reference.

BTW A guy near me is parting out a tan 85ish weekender which is mostly intact. His prices are pretty cheap.

Ryan