Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:02:01 EST
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      various oil threads-what works for me-slightly long

I feel the need to weigh in after reading all of the various oil threads concerning different groups or synthetics, PTFE et al. I have owned my 1990 Westy for 6 yrs. and 131,000 miles. I am not sure how the previous three owners approached oil change intervals, the type of oil and filter that was used. I assumed that they may have taken oil/filter changes seriously based on other areas of upkeep of the van but assumed abuse and neglect. First, I drained the oil, replaced the filter and added new oil including 1 Qt. of Gunk motor flush (mostly kerosene?)following directions(ran about 30 mins. up to temp.) and replaced the oil and filter (factory Mahle/Mann). I had very little sludge/deposits after this and considered this good news as I have had quite a bit of sludge deposits removed when doing this with other engines. I then ran one cycle with another filter and conventional oil and then switched to Amsoil full synthetic ( I had been given 5 gallons of the correct weight for my van by a good friend-make that great friend!). Again, I always used the factory oil filter only and later switched over to Mobil 1. The original engine made it to 178,000 miles before needing a complete rebuild (you can't change your vehicle's history and PO abuse/neglect). Jewel at the Bug Shop in Blacksburg, Va. did a superb job with the rebuild (plugola lamp now lit) and I ran 4 cycles of conventional oil @ 3,000 mi. intervals to allow for conventional oil rings to fully seat. I then went back to Mobil 1 and followed some very wise and economical advice to make it more affordable. My uncle is in charge of the fleet at Cox Communications that is all Ford vans and his recommendation was to run synthetic for 6K and replace the filter every 3K. Most of their fleet is over 200,000 miles when they are sold and none have had any oil related engine failures. This has worked for me and my vehicle now has 236,000+ miles and uses no oil whatsoever-and no leaks. That's almost 60k on the rebuild and no leaks that used to be so commonly associated with the first generation on synthetics. The cost of going this route still is only slightly higher than conventional oil at the same intervals and still is changing the oil out at 6K vs. the 15K (I think) that Mobil 1 claims to be good for. I believe frequent oil changes and using the factory filter (bought in bulk via Ebay deals) is the cheapest insurance to insure longevity of our vanagon engines. Mine is a daily driver and also used for long vacation/camping trips as well. Maybe others on the list have a better solution. This is what works for me-no rod knocks, bearing noises or valve smoke. Mine starts well down to the lowest temps in my area (-5 f.) and I never have an oil pressure light or buzzer. Long live the 2.1 engine-keep it all stock and healthy. Oil is your engines blood and blood is life.

David Clarkson 1990 Westy 236K <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.