Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:50:56 -0800
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Which Type 2 to recommend?
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

I have to agree with a lot of what you have to say Greg, from the '71 (you can get the rear brake drum off without busting loose that big nut) to not getting a project. But... in the context of a "post high school" kid with "no mechanical ability" looking for a VW for a one time trip I'd have to go with the WC VW too. I'm be willing to bet the kid won't catch on to the "zen" of driving an air cooled in a couple of months. I'd look for something with an already rebuilt engine, something with enough miles on it so you know the motor will hold up. All you really need (in this case) is a few months of use & abuse without breaking down. If it was me I'd look for something with a Subaru already in it, (the Vanagon syndrome won't be a factor) I think the Subaru engine is better engineering . <Shrug>, but that's my opinion.

Rob becida@comcast.net '87 Vanagon with a Subaru 2.2 in western Washington state

At 2/25/2007 10:30 AM, Greg Potts wrote: >Hi Stephen, > >I woud challenge that "cost of ownership" assumption that puts >waterboxers in front of Baywindows. > >My aircooled bus has had the lowest cost of ownership of any vehicle >I have ever owned. My Dad's watercooled vanagon has an annual cost >about 2-3x that of his previous aircooled vanagon. > >There is a "zen" to driving an aircooled vehicle; you have to be >willing to listen to what the machine is doing and not ignore its >messages. Fix things BEFORE they break and drive within the limits of >the vehicle. These are hard lessons to learn and usually come at the >cost of hardship and expense... most people will refuse to learn >thedee lessons and tend to blame the vehicle and not their own actions. > >My advice: (Remember, you did ask) > >1. Buy a copy of "the complete idiot's guide to VW repair" by John >Muir, and read it cover to cover. There WILL be a test later. > >2. Search long and hard for a 1971 bus in good shape. This is >arguably the "best" year for aircooleds since it is the only year >that got the type1 engine and disk brakes. The type1 engine is easier >for a novice to work on and parts for it are much cheaper and easier >to find, though it is down slightly on peak power and torque. This >engine is MUCH less complex than the vanagon or later baywindow and >if cared for properly will deliver reliable service for many years. > >3. Don't buy a project; it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy a complete and >running bus in good chape than it is to work up a fixer-upper. This >applies to Vanagons as well as Baywindows. > >4. Consider hiring a west-coast listee to scope out a local >california vehicle and start the adventure by flying out and driving >home. My parents brought home a 1967 camper form Seattle at a cost to >the owner of less than $2K, the day after he got it he was offered >double the price he paid. This will improve the economics of the >project by increasing the resale value of the vehicle. > >5. Regardless of the condition of the vehicle, be sure to thoroughly >inspect the brakes, suspension, steering and fuel system as soon as >possible. > >That's my $.02CDN. > > > >Happy Trails, > >Greg Potts >1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato >www.pottsfamily.ca >www.busesofthecorn.com > > > > > > >On 25-Feb-07, at 10:26 AM, Stephen Steele wrote: > >>Friday, while I was at my buddies' shop prepping for my dive into >>my parts >>Vanagon for removing the cruise control in order to switch it over >>to my '89 >>Westy (unnamed, as of yet), a fellow boomer appeared on the scene. >>He was >>ingenuous and inquisitive; obviously attracted by my '91 Caravelle, >>my son's >>'84 Westy and my '73 Sportsmobile, all of which are sitting outside, >>awaiting various work when my time permits. >>There were lots of questions about Type2 and T1, T2 and T3. >>Seems his raison d'être of his curiosity is a step son who has >>'lots of >>money' and wanted to do a post high school, pre-college trip "West" >>in a >>Westy. Having never owned a VW, he had lots of concerns. What was >>the best >>purchase for this novice teen with no mechanical ability? What >>should he >>buy? What to look for? Where to find the best deals? etc...etc. >> >>Like Westy sightings, this may be a daily occurrence to you folks >>in the >>"more advanced" States of these United, but out here in the >>hinterlands of >>Southern Ohio (where it is NOT so flat that you can watch your dog >>run way >>for two weeks) we seldom get these kind of encounters of the Type 2 >>kind. >>Following a quick recitation on the VW Type2 Splittie to Eurovan >>pedigree, I >>mentioned thesamba classifieds and forums, and this List regarding >>working >>resources within the Type 2 community. I headed him toward the >>VList's >>buying guide should he decide on a T3. >> >>The dad is a tent camper, somewhat mechanically adept, and is >>trying to >>insure his step-son a "summer of discovery" and I applaud him for >>that. He >>is concerned that the purchased vehicle be safe and sound and not >>be a money >>pit for a short term owner. I explained my personal bias toward the >>later >>model w/c vans. Even though the entry price will be higher, the >>overall >>costs might be lower, especially considering resale values. >>I also invited him to attend one of our scheduled camping events >>that will >>be fairly near his hometown of Fairfield (OH). By doing that he >>could better >>evaluate the various Type 2's and talk to their owners about their >>experiences. He had lots of questions about the VW community and I >>ensured >>him that there are as many different types of people driving and >>camping in >>these VWs as there are in any given group... even if we do tend to >>be a >>little out of the mainstream when it comes to our vehicular >>proclivities. >> >>Anyway, I was just wondering about the List's input on this subject >>and how >>some of you would answer his questions and address his concerns... any >>ideas? >>-- >>Stephen >>Chillicothe OH