Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:36:00 -0800
From:         Nathaniel Poole <myth.wright@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which Type 2 to recommend?

I'm a relative noob when it comes to these buses but I've had my 80 aircooled Westy vanagon for several months now, it has been a daily driver, I've done lots of preventative maintenance on it, and it has run like a charm. I am constantly getting comments about the van and although that's not important, the cool factor is something that a kid would die for, which is one reason why so many folks have such great memories about these buses. You can have as much camping fun in an old Dodge tradesman camper, but nobody has nostalgia about those things. The VW buses are also way, way cheaper to run than any other conversion/rv.

I've been inside and out of my 2.0 aircooled motor, and it's a very simple engine compared to modern ones. They have a rep of being underpowered, but that's not my experience at all. Besides, for a young person, it's better they don't have a rocket anyway. Starting with a bit of humility as a driver is a good thing.

With good tires the westy vanagom drives and handles very well, and there is tons of space inside, and being self contained they can stop anywhere they choose; that's real freedom.

Whatever you choose, if it's an aircooled, you absolutely must get a cylinder head temperature gauge installed, because everything I've read about these kinds of engines suggests that premature failure comes about by people driving the snot out of the poor things. They are not like other engines in that they must be handled with a certain amount of care and respect. The zen thing. Pedal to the floor driving will toast them. Install the gauge, point to 400 degrees on it, and tell him that is the self-destruct mark and never to exceed that temperature.

I bought my bus in Washington state for $1800.00, with no rust and it passed the provincial mechanical safety inspection with no problems. There are fabulous deals out there in the aircooled buses on the US west coast.

Nathaniel