Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:56:35 -0800
From:         Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: alternatives to fiberglass insulation
Comments: To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@hotmail.com>

Hi,

IMO that bubble stuff is not the best out there, though it does help. I am an architect and dealing with insulation on a daily basis, and there are few things that beat a material that is extruded/foamed. Reason is that the most insulation is gained by making the heat change mediums, like going from plastic into air. now if you use bubble stuff, the heat only has to go from air to aluminum foil to plastic foil to air to plastic foil to aluminum to air. yes, the air pockets do insulate, but not that much. with foam on the other hand, the heat has to pass thousands of mini bubbles. that is why all the european adventure campers use foam mats for insulation. you must use closed cell foam so it cannot take on water. companies like reimo sell it in varying thicknesses, but its nothing special, its just the exact same material as good camping pads use. the cheapest place to get this in the u.s. is:

http://tinyurl.com/34zp4z

now, at $6 a pad and free shipping you can afford to put two layers in your van? you can glue it in with 3m sprayglue for foam (i will test that in the next few days. p.s. amazon used to offer the grey mat for the same price, but just raised the grey mat price to 15$. if you consider using this, you might want to order the blue ones now as they are still cheap.

have fun and warm nights, as well as cool days in the heat. flo

On 2/25/07, Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Hey all > I am pulling all my fiberglass insulation out of my panels because I am > noticing they are holding moisture. What alternatives to fiberglass can I > use in the panels in my syncro westy?? Obviously something that does not > hold moisture, even with a vapor barrier, and still insulates well > TIA > jason' > 87 syncro westy > > _________________________________________________________________ > With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these few > simple tips. > > http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline >