Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:31:30 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Plugs

Jason,

I think most of the water that gets in on the drivers side of a Westy comes from leaking utility ports. When I pulled all my cabinets out I had water at the floor level along the entire rocker panel. If you fill your tank from the outside it can leak there too. My intake water hose to the tank was loose and leaking and so were the other two utility ports. I plan on closing them up someday since I always fill my tank from inside the van so I can see how much water is going into the tank (doh!) and I've never ever used my city water hookup. I also plan to move the 110V hookup to someplace under the van. GoWesty has replacement gaskets for the utility doors. Replace your old ones and use some marine grade caulking on both side of the new seals. Also check the water tank hose---some new clamps might be a good idea.

I used two layers of silver bubble type insulation---available in rolls at Home Desperate inside my entire van. I spray glued those two layers over a layer of Polyken Foilastic that is stuck directly to the metal and works as a Dynamat (but much cheaper) type of noise deadener, not to mention a radiant barrier. While you have the cabinets out I would clean up and POR15 that entire area where the floor meets the wall.