Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:13:17 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: power window regulators
Comments: To: Rob Campbell <mantid@GMAIL.COM>

Replacing the stock regulator is the easiest way to go. The Bentley gives a decent proceedure for this. You remove the window and remove the bolts holding the regulator and motor in place. Unplug the motor from the electric plug and be sure that all of the tie wraps are cut. Then you give the thing a half twist and snake it out through a hole in the bottom of the door. Swap the motor over to the new regulator and snake the new one back in.

I have aftermarket regulators with motors for around $159. There are a few differences however. They use a regualtor that is like the manual regulator (screw jack type) which is stiff and you will need to install it through the slot where the window slides up and down (you need to open this slot a little with some wooden wedges but it is not a big deal). The motor is a Bosch unit but it sits behind where the stock speaker would normally sit in the door. If you have the stock speaker you should be OK but if you have a deeper one it will interfere with the motor. The different design of the regulator should be more reliable than the stock one. I have sold many of these over the years and so far I have never had anyone come back saying that one failed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242