Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:26:40 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: power window regulators
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

Kim,

You wrote: "Depends on the user. I did mine myself I used a bolt and nut, instead of rivets, but it certainly didn't take very long."

I doubt that the problem is "the user." As I stated in the other post, with regard to the window regulator, I had one that was simple, taking 15 minutes or less and the other one was a two person job that took well over an hour. The one that took so long was the second one I did so it wasn't "the user" but the condition of the regulator. Yours was like my driver's side, the first one I did, and just wasn't broken as badly as my passenger side regulator. It was two completely different levels of repair. As I also state, Zoran Mladen (and others) also reported having repaired regulators like my passenger side one where the cable was wound inside the regulator making it a difficult two person job.

So, depending on how broken the regulator happens to be, it can be an easy job or a hard 2 person job. You had the easy fix.

"I spent more time figuring out how to get it out, then I did in fixing or re-installing the regulator."

That is exactly my point and what Jim said - reread the posts. Jim wrote that this repair wasn't too difficult or long,

"if you have the pop rivets on hand and you've done the removal and installation of the mechanism enough times to be quick about it. If you know what you are doing, the motor and cable assembly will come out in less than ten minutes."

That is what I said was the "big if."

Getting the thing apart and out of the door, and reassembling that all can be very difficult and/or time consuming if you don't figure out the best way to do it on the first few attempts. There are lots of posts in the archives about people struggling with this. Most people, including you, as you stated, probably aren't going to do the removal quickly the first time.

Sam

-- Sam Walters

Baltimore, MD