Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:13:10 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: power window regulators
Comments: To: Rob Campbell <mantid@GMAIL.COM>

When that big aluminum pop rivit shears off,it does so for a reason.The braded wire is getting kinked and streached, and twisted, and such.The mechinism wont wind it up smoothly anymore. It gets caught,kinda like a fishing rod and real when the line gets tangled on the real.Cant really untangle it .Got to cut it, and start new. The rivit is the weakest point and it shears off.Letting you know that this is the end. Reriviting this wont fix it. Not for long.

Drivers side and passengers side are different regulators.Both with power and manual windows.The motors are easily interchangeable, and I beleive are identical, between right and left. You may be able to do it with a flashlight. You may be able to cahnge motors with the regulator installed.I think you can go to manual regulators just as easily as replacing a power window regulator.They use the same attaching points.The glass is the same.

The regulator is designed to come out of the largest hole in the door (with the panel off). To do this,I just taped, with duct tape, the window, about 6 inched from the top.Leaving an opening you can stick your arm through.An opening that allows for removel of the two bolts that hold the window to the regualtor. The two 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the window can be then removed.Only a 10mm wrench is necesary.No other special tools or even a socket is needed. The most importiant tool is the gumption not to be afraid to try it. You dont rally have much to loose.Wont break anything(if you can get the door panel off without tearing it)The tape will hold the window in place. I think there are three or four 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the door frame.These are located on the jam,bottom, and 2 near the crank.They all look the same and are a black color.

When all the 10mm bolts are removed, and the electric is unplugged, the regulator will pull right out the large hole.I think a zip tie needs to be cut on the electrical connection. Like a baby being born,it comes right out. If you bend it more than the minimum needed to remove it, a plastic guide may break.No sweat cause the regualtor is toast anyway.

The regulator needs to be properly oriented when you begin to stick the new one in.I mean that you cannot twist it around once it is inside the door.Once inside the door hole,It will spring back into shape.This shape must fit where the bolts and window attach.This shape must be as the old one is , before you remove it.It will spring backinto shape and the holes for the bolts will line up as if by magic.There are no adjustments to make.It installs one way.

Actually this is an easy repair.It is the very first one I ever did on a Vanagon.I had to get the window closed because of rain and such,right? The dusty greasy dirt that is inside the door and on the regulator is the grossest part.Something about that dirty grease that is just icky. There will also be a few tiny requisite cuts on your hands from the sheet metal.

If you get a used regulator, look it over carefully.Especially the drivers side regulator.It gets the most use. Look for smooth wire all the way around.Check the white plastic guides to see that they are in position and not severly worn.Anything out of the ordinary means that this is a worn regulator and it will soon break.If this is a drivers side regulator, may be best to buy new.The motor will interchange.Look to see if the aluminum rivit is in good condtion.