Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:45:09 -0800
From:         Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remving the camping equipment and a source for paint
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

Byan, I am doing this op. often. Not difficult really, but a few things to do. Take propane gas tank out. First valve cover, then the two nuts on the left, the right ones halfway. Remove screws that hold seal to pipes, Loosen screws under the floor of water outlet 10mm bolts of three on the left of the fridge under the flap door, two of them part of brackets. 13mm bolt to floor under sink. Nailed in stops come out with door panel tool. Take shelf out, take, bottom cover out, anticlockwise. Take out drawer. Little tricky but its fun to find out. Screw out clamps that hold gas pipes, put them away in small plastic bag. Using two wrenches, (adjustables maybe) and undo the gas pipe. Undo the rear gas pipe using one wrench, pull them through the floor out without bending. Two screws holding to the wall under the sink with a small bracket. Unplug the wires of power supply and the monitoring. Take off front table bracket and keep the screws safely. Go outside and take off the fridge exhaust and keep all the bolts and parts in a bag. Now, it is time to pull the unit by rocking it and pulling, just half way out. From over the top, reach in behind the fridge and take the electrical outlets cover off and take out the four little screws that hold the whole unit to the wall and free it from the kitchen unit. Pull the whole unit out and swing it to the right, behind the pass. seat. You need to cut the cover halfway at the holes with a sharp knife with a few slices and remove. Take out the bottom insulation, reaching to the left and throw it away. Now, you can inspect the damage of the insulation holding water forever, helping rusting out. Have a vacuum with you and start scratching and wire brushing the rust out and use a power tool with wire brush wheel on if you have one. On the outside also, do the same to get out as much rust as you can. Using Rustmort a couple of times to neutralise the rust, eliminate as much as possible. Using POR 15 liberally all over. Wait to dry almost and do it again. It dries slow, takes a half day. On the outside you can put masking tape over the area you don't want painted with the POR 15, but do it twice also and use primer before the second one dries hard.

Well, that's about all before you put all back. Use a non water absorbent insulation now and glue it in. I find it in Home Depot, its called Reflectix and come in different sizes and length in rolls. It is a aluminum color thing, bubble wrap kind, thin, less than half inch. Putting back all is fun. The whole thing takes a few weeks first. The second time it can be a day. Enjoy the journey. Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "BJ Feddish" <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:48 PM Subject: Remving the camping equipment and a source for paint