Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:17:03 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: help with '83.5 Westy thermostat housing

The thermistat housing is an Achilies heal for the 1.9. If a 1.9 is low mileage and 23 or so years old,the water pump probably has not been replaced.Bad news!! The steel bolts have most likely fused to the aluminum from corrosion of dissimilar metals.VW put in 8.8 grade bolts all around, but they will snap off with ease. I have never seen a 1.9 thermistat housing come off, and be completely disassembled, without at least one bolt snapping.I had a low mileage(62K)1.9 where all the bolts snapped. Every one.After the first two snapped,it was a game.Even the M8 through bolts that hold the housing to the water pump snapped.

If you can remove your t-housing from the engine, do not remove the bolts that attach the steel piece for the short hose. No No!! Leave that gasket alone.

The two bolts that attach the lower housing where the thermistat is, probably cannot be left alone. The thermistat occasionally needs to be removed. Better do it now.Perhaps the thermistat was removed and antiseize compound was used on these bolts,sometime in the past. That is good.

If you can remove the housing from the engine, and thermistat from the housing, you are most likely good to go.Many times there is corrosing and sever pitting where the housing mates to the water pump. JB weld stick will fix this up very well.JB weld stick will also fix the aluminum O- ring seat on the inside of the housing, and any pitting(almost no matter how deep it is)on the lower thermistat cover where the hose attaches.I do not know if a rubber O-ring can replace the plastic O-ring for the water cross over pipe. I think BD has plastic o-rings.

Drilling out snapped off bolts is not easy to do.Maybe you can save your old housing.Like most medical conditions, prevention is better than the treatments they may have.

I sold a reconditioned thermistat housing last summer for $85, on ebay.Absolutely gorgeous!!!It sold in two days.It was wire wheeled clean of all corrosion. I repanted it with POR15(clear and sterling silver), and included new gaskets,a packet of antiseize compound, and 10.9 grade bolts all over. I thought it was priced too high, but I got many requests for this housing after it sold.Did I have another, folks were asking?

Next one is gonna be $99, or more.If I can find one.That is the problem.They are so corroded to the water pump that I cant get one off without damaging it beyond my capacity to repair it. I guess they all have been low mileage housings, so far. What you want is a high mileage housing, where the housing has been removed several times.The housing I successfully repaired was a high mileage housing.$80 bucks sounds high for the cover.I have several of those thermistat covers that survived the housing removal.The housing,proper was destroyed.

Use a drill and bit to remove the crust in the through bolt holes.It is amazing how much white stuff will drill out(not alunminum). Use antizeize compound all over. Leave the gasket for the short hose alone.The housing can be removed with heat from a torch.I think this can only be used after the housing has been removed from the vehicle. I have a torch now and I heat the aluminum up and ease the bolts out.I can do all of them this way,now. All may break otherwise.

This is why any 1.9 thermistat housing ,in good ,disassembled condition , will cost plenty.Do not buy a housing that has not been disassembled.At least the thermistat cover needs to be removed. If you do buy a undissassembled housing, you can expect to break off the bolts that remain unfasened,if you do not use heat( you may have to pay somebody to do this- not cheap or garuanteed).Once again, you can leave the steel flange for the short hose, alone, with success.Without using heat, perhaps radiater stop leak is best to fix this gasket if it ever decides to leaks. Get a new plastic o-ring if it is really bad.If you want to reuse it, coat it with RTV and then reinstall.It will probably be ok.

Your best source for a thermistat housing may be one that was surplus when a 1.9 was removed for a Subaru engine transplant.Anyone got one for this guy? If you can get one that is off the engine, but low mileage, take it to a shop with a torch. High mileage housings may respond to a wrench on the bolts ,with extreem care.If you think one is twisting off,stop!!! Liquid wrench wont really help in this case. Good luck!!