Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:29:39 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone ever use standard awning rails on a vanagon?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

Hi Ive not been follow this link but the item in the picture is called Awning "C" Channel and comes in about 5 profiles or angles that the C is open. Ive got some in stock if interested. also the item to fill the channel is called filler rail and another called Keder Welt and usually in your choice of black or white. It will slip into the C Channel. Also the C channel is Aluminum and the filler rail is a hard plastics and Keder Welt is like a Fabric covered hard plastic tubing. that can be sewn with a commercial machine. Keder welt is usually used in Large commercial and industrial applications and Plastic filler rail is the norm for RVs and Lighter duty items. Now if it were me and I had a C channel installed. I would make a filler rail and attach to a separating Marine Zipper. Then Just leave one half with the Bus and the other to just Zip on when needed. You could even put one on each side and just zip on one side of the bus or the other. Not a Big deal Standard Marine Goodies. Ive not made one since I don't like putting holes in Roofs. Issues with Dissimilar metal corrosion and leakage. I do it all the time for customers but have a tough time doing it for myself. Hope I helped instead of confusing more. C-ya Jonce

>OK, I get it now that I have seen the pictures. Thanks so much. My >original intent was to affix the rail so that the awning could be >used with the top up or down. I see that that is probably not >possible to do a top-down option on the poptop westy. It looks as if >your configuration mounts the rail so high up that the top and seals >don't even touch it when they close, but close over it so that it is >accessible only when the top is up. That's OK by me, though if anyone >can figure out how to install an awning rail to work both up and >down, let me know.

>To comment on Loren Busch's post that followed this one, no, you >probably can't use a metal rod. I have had canvas roof repaired that >went to old-school campers. The only thing you can do is take a tarp >to (or buy material from) a canvas shop and have them sew in a >flexible piping made for a system like this. They will know what you >are talking about and will have the right stuff.

>This system makes a great seal, by the way, and is very easy to >install and take down. You just slip one end in the rail and walk >down the length of the van. That's it.

>Jim

>On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Richard A Jones wrote:

>> Jim: >> >> I took some pix with the top popped and with it almost >> closed. Pictures are worth a 1000 words--plus, I didn't >> remember very well how the rail was installed. I would >> have said the flange was up, not down! >> >> At the rear, when the top is closed, the flange of the >> rail is right behind the rubber of the seal. Farther >> forward, I think it is just above the rubber. It comes >> down at the rear end, I think, because of the poptop >> hinge, or maybe it is just the shape of the roof. >> >> See: >> http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/VWAwningRail >> for the five pix. >> >> To answer an unask question: I had my Carefree Sidewinder >> on my '81 and just moved it to the Syncro. If I had not had >> the Sidewinder, I would have explored using the awning rail. >> >> Richard >> Boulder >> >>

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/