Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Feb 2007 02:46:20 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] 90 Vanagon Starting issue
Comments: To: iweedman <iweedman@yahoo.com>

Ian,

Attached are some files that I have saved over the years from the list or dug out of the archives. Most cover start issues like yours, though a few are about issues where the van turns over but won't start running.

As you have been told and will read in these files, cleaning the grounds is an important first step. Check all electrical connections. Just recently someone solved a start problem by finding that the wire to the solenoid had a loose connection. Put it on firmly and off he went.

You will need a basic cheap digital multimeter, something that can be found for around $10 - 20 at a FLAPS. Some people like to use much more expensive ones, but I use ones bought on sale at Harbor Freight for about $5 and they have always worked fine.

While I think all of the files will have some utility, the most systematic and analytic ones are those written by Mark Drillock. He explains how to use the multimeter to go through the system and identify the weak link. He has helped many people, including me, with this type of problem and I have saved lots of the posts he has written. Look for some comments about using jumper wires in an empty relay socket to test start components. Excellent material.

The file named "start diagnosis & repair combo.txt" is also a good collection of suggestions from several pretty knowledgeable list members.

I'm sure these saved posts from a number of list members will help you out. Systematic diagnosis is the key.

Good luck,

Sam

[I have done extensive diagnostic work on my 85 lately and the $5 meters work just fine - I was watching the O2 sensor rapidly change through the proper range earlier today as I tweaked the fuel injection system. I found slightly corroded grounds on one fuel injector through readings at the ECU / wiring harness connection - cleaned them and they were back in range like the others. I still haven't found all of the sources of my FI problem, but I have ruled out many things and tweaked a few. Of course, fixing the exhaust leak made a huge difference. I'll check the last few things on the next warm day, but I am no longer getting 13 mpg and think I am pretty close to normal on mpg.]

-- Sam Walters

Baltimore, MD