Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:07:13 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Price of Syncro Westy

One thing I've wondered about lately is the difference between the (relatively high) asking price, especially on free ad media, and the (unknown) final sales price. For instance, there's an average-looking 1981 AC Westy for sale on the SF Bay Area CL for $7,850 right now, and a nice 2WD 1991 for $24,500. You tend to see the same ads coming up, month after month, which leads me to suspect the selling price is far lower than the asking. Someone in SF has been trying to sell an '85 Westy for about three months, asking price $3,000. Who knows what that seller would accept. There was a beater in San Jose for under $1000.

Free or low cost advertising leads to pie-in-the-sky pricing, with sellers who are not desperate just seeing what the market will bear. If they had to pay $150 for a classified ad, they would price it to sell. I paid $1,950 for my '84 Westy a year or so ago, but I would not have paid double that--I don't have the money to experiment with a second car that is, after all, more of a hobby than a necessity.

If I were an insurance underwriter, I would be interested in what these vans really sell for. Ebay is better than CL or Samba in this regard, but even there, you never know what happens in final negotiations.

My own take on insurance is eliminate or minimize collision and comprehensive, and put your premiums in a savings account. Over the years you come out ahead.