Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Mar 2007 08:35:16 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 12-volt LCD monitors for DVD?
Comments: To: dhaynes@optonline.net

RE: TV in the camper Mike, I've used three solutions over the years. For several years I had (still have) a Sanyo very compact portable, 7" screen, built in VCR. Ran off internal battery or external 12v, had it's own rabbit ears, worked very well. Wanting to reduce clutter and redundancy about a year and a half ago I switched to using my laptop. The laptop can play DVDs just fine and I acquired an external TV tuner that can handle cable input when in a campground or use an external amplified antenna if no cable availalbe. But I found the use of the external tuner box and the external antenna a small PITA, eneded up with wires all over the place. So last fall I started looking and found two solutions from Audiovox. The first is a small 8" LCD TV/DVD player that sells for about $250 at Best Buy or less than $100 on eBay, search 'audiovox lcd tv'. The second is a bigger unit from Audiovox, a 10", this model here: *http://tinyurl.com/2xjyyh. *IIRC I paid about $250 for one new off eBay. I don't see these new on eBay right now. It has detachable speakers, FM modulator that does a great job of broadcasting through the vans stereo, and two sets of IR driven headphones for private listening. Has remote, runs off 12v, and comes in a compact but rugged canvas case that can also serve as a stand or mount. It will still need the external antenna but is less hassle to set up than the laptop. I haven't used it camping yet, will provide reports when the time comes.