Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:14:13 -0800
From:         Chris Lisica <wavanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Vanagon gl "issues"
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

How much time is estimated on changing out fuel injectors and all fuel lines? How hard would you rate it? Scale of 1 to 10, one being easy, 10 being professional mechanic recommended.Furthermore, if I were to do that, I would probably go w/ Ben's Fuel intake / injectors / hoses removal & overhaul <http://www.benplace.com/intake_fuel_injection.htm> which doesn't seem too hard aside from remembering how to put everything back together. My question, as a novice mechanic, what should I look out for when attempting the above?

Also, got it started yesterday, only started when I put a little pressure on the gas pedal. HIt fired up, held it at 2000 rpm's, let it drop down to idle, seemed to idle ok for a minute, as soon as I tapped the gas, it died, won't start.

And, anyone in the Seattle area doing the same thing that needs a hand? Or, any major project for that matter? I can turn a wrench, and will do what I am told to. I have some tools and will travel to gain knowledge and provide you free help!

Thanks again,

Chris

On 2/15/07, Chris Lisica <wavanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > Dennis, that's a far cry from the ISV that i've been told to check out, > twice now. Would you(or anyone else) recommend fuel injection cleaner? I > also just downloaded the digifant pro training manual which has a wealth of > info as well. > > Man, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated! > > -chris > > On 2/15/07, Dennis Haynes < dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > > > If your idling at 950, the valve is doing its job. The sputtering is > > called > > a miss. At idle, the miss is usually due to an ignition problem or a > > cylinder getting a slightly different mixture than the others. Bad > > injectors, vacuum leak, valves, etc can be the problem. The idle valve > > simply stabilizes the idle speed by opening a bypass around the > > throttle. > > You should be able to get a smooth idle even with it un plugged. Some > > sputtering on water boxers is often normal. Make sure timing is properly > > set > > and then look for the cause of the lean missies. > > > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > > Of > > Chris Lisica > > Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:54 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: 88 vanagon gl "issues" > > > > Ok, so I just got the van started(barely). Held it at 2000rpm's for > > about 15 > > minutes to charge the battery after a 3-4 minute start process. After > > letting go of the gas pedal, it dropped to 1100rpm's(900 is normal idle > > for > > me), slowly dropped to 1000, slowly dropped to 950, and started to > > stutter. > > Tap the gas, everything is fine, let go, starts to stutter/sputter. I'm > > thinking all signs are pointing to the idle valve? Sound like a good > > culprit > > to chase down? Is it located in the throttle body? On top? > > > > Thanks so much! > > > > -chris > > > > On 2/14/07, Chris Lisica < wavanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > Tom, thanks for the links. I'm no stranger to Ben's website. What a > > wealth > > > of information. > > > > > > Thank you Ben for posting so much information! > > > > > > On 2/14/07, Tom Rowsell <sakow86@gmail.com > wrote: > > > > > > > > See Ben's info at http://benplace.com/temp_sender.htm > > > > Also, go back up to http://benplace.com/vw2.htm for a load of other > > > > info... > > > > > > > > Tom > > > > > > > > On 2/14/07, Chris Lisica < wavanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > Ken, thanks for the info. Some questions: > > > > > > > > > > The TEMPII sensor is a real good candidate. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Where exactly is the TEMPII sensor? > > > > > > > > > > There are some wires/traces under the distributor that become > > brittle > > > > > with > > > > > > age.If you are not real careful unplugging the dist you can > > damage > > > > > them. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Under the distributor cap? > > > > > > > > > > How about the idle position sensor? Can you hear it click on and > > off? > > > > > > > > > > > > The idle control module could be fried or the idle valve could > > be > > > > > gummed > > > > > > up. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I believe I can hear the position sensor coming on with ignition > > turn > > > > > on and > > > > > off. Where is the idle control module and stabilizer valve? > > > > > > > > > > Thanks again! > > > > > > > > > > -chris > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

-- Chris 88 Vanagon GL 02 Golf GLS TDI