Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Mar 2007 01:28:06 +0000
From:         "annasan1@comcast.net >Anna QS<" <annasan1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Need input - '86 needs help!

Well, for those who offered advice about my leak -->> yes, it WAS power steering fluid and YES, I did replace it with the automatic transmission fluid Decron 3 or whatever was recommended . . . still leaks furiously but squeak and stiffness with steering got better. For a day or 2. Now, its crazy - feels like I'm hauling on a 1950-something old truck. I really get a workout just trying to pull out of a parking place, or round a corner! Kinda dangerous,eh?? Anyhow - a coupla places here in Portland OR confirm I need a new rack (that's where the leak is) and to scout around for a used/rebuilt/whatever that works and doesn't leak - 'long or full rack' - I gather that's the one with 'tie rods' ?? I feel like I'm lost in the lingo and I didn't take the Berlitz crash course in Vanagonese! I can't be without a vehicle and don't want to abandon my own "Road House" (with apologies to Mr Road Haus guy!) Can anybody help with info or location of same? I'm pretty fried these days - - disabilty ain't any better and expenses are crazy - - so much I might need to sell my sweet house :-( But my ol' body is about 25 yrs too old to really enjoy a full timing adventure-too much medical stuff to haul along. I am checking out rv-type campers as more efficient that way, but feel like such a VW traitor!!! And I do go that route, will I still be welcome at Wet Westies or other VW events??!! - Anna QS & '86 Blue Mongrel

ps - Maybe if I do have to sell my sweet sanctuary I can afford those top of the line and price range super 1991 Syncro super-duper Westies!! Altho a fellwo I met at Trafton's VW & Foreign Auto this a.m. has a nice looking white '81 Adventurewagon for sale ($4000) - new engine,paint job,misc & that baby just purred onto the lot!