Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:55:00 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seeking Input - Big Disc Brakes & stock rear brakes - non
              stock rears
Comments: To: drillock@EARTHLINK.NET

In a message dated 3/5/07 3:24:27 PM, drillock@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

> The other factor is that the rear shoes tend to wear badly at one end > only so if you look in the middle and the other end it looks like you > have plenty of material when really they should be replaced. Instead one > should look at the top ends and worry about the thinnest spot. The more > wear on the drums the worse the shoes will wear at just one end. The > lower shoe pivot pins can be shimmed to help with this but this is best > left to someone with at least half a mechanics brain, not typical > owners. The best solution is new drums. > Mark,

In an earlier time, I would take the Vanagon to Midas for brake work. Then, about two months later I decided to change the rear brakes out personally and found this f**ked up return spring problem. I had decided to redo the rears because of severe braking loss during heavy rains. I switched to sintered metallic pads and new drums. The new drums are inexpensive and I always stock an extra set. The sintered metallic linings seriously increased the stopping power. No more loss of rear brakes in LA rainstorms or creek crossings and literally no fade after heavy braking down Mount Palomar. The price for this increased stopping power is rapid cutting of the brake drums. Probably need to be replaced every 50K miles. Although the rear clearly grips up strongly, there is no breaking loose when lightly loaded (rare event anyway).

Of course your experience may vary!

Also, changing over to the later front disks and suspension geometry, as you suggested when I was looking at the Audi front disk solution, also really improved matters further.

Frank Grunthaner

************************************** AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.