Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:44:57 -0700
From:         "Anderson,Chuck" <CAnderson@UA.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      FW: FW: The ole head dilema

Dan-

Are you really sure that you want to do this. It sounds like you already have a considerable investment here. If the only mechanical problem with my van was leaking heads, I'd have it repaired. But, it also has other problems that would be expensive to remedy. And, since I have neither the interest nor the ability to do the work myself, it just doesn't seem worth proceeding. Your situation doesn't sound quite the same.

Chuck Anderson

________________________________

From: dan kapeller [mailto:dkapeller@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:45 AM To: Anderson,Chuck; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: lrkapeller@hotmail.com Subject: RE: FW: The ole head dilema

Chuck, Madeline, and others,

It must be a virus going around, my 90 GL started leaking the blue VW antifreeze from the right side sometime Friday. Inspection confirmed one drip per second, seeping from the gasket near the Allen key drain plug. I'm really upset, because this engine is an option 2 from below, and has less than 40K on it, and I've done EVERYTHING to prevent an early death. Before I execute option 4, does anyone in the Denver area want to come strip the good stuff? Among the goodies are

1. Nokian Hakkapelleti Q's with less than 3,000 miles

2. Bilstien Shocks all around, less than a year old

3. New muffler, cat and headers. Also less than a year.

4. Alloy wheels, with dustcaps

5. In general, a really sweet van, with excellent interior.

I can mail photos of anything you are interested in. I'll entertain offers on the parts or the whole van. If someone is wanting to get in to this crazy cult, here's a nice GL that just needs a new engine.

Dan Kapeller

Cheyenne, WY

307-638-4736

From: "Anderson,Chuck" <CAnderson@UA.COLOSTATE.EDU> Reply-To: "Anderson,Chuck" <CAnderson@UA.COLOSTATE.EDU> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: FW: The ole head dilema Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:48:06 -0700 Choose door #4 before you get in any deeper than you already are. That's what I'm about to do. Chuck Anderson '86 GL -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of mad madeline Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:21 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: The ole head dilema Well.... Its time to do something with our trusty engine since the right side is crying tears of antifreeze. The way I see it I have 4 choices: 1. pay $2K to have a head job done 2. pay $4K to buy a factory rebuild and pay to have it installed 3. pay $6-10K to switch to another type of engine 4. loose $7K by driving it off a cliff All things considered (including , and crossing my fingers, I'm about to have Doug's Bugs in Mesa implement choice #1. I think it should last quite some time this way since the bottom end of the engine seems just fine. Last minute thoughts?? Madeline --------------------------------- Bored stiff? Loosen up... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.