Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:53:27 -0600
From:         Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thinking about living in my van full time for a bit

Go for it, you may never have another opportunity like this.

Route 66 Rider! Ramon Hill Live Long and Be Free ================================================== -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Old Volks Home Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:09 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Thinking about living in my van full time for a bit

As of today, I have been full-timing in "Ole Putt" for 8 years now. Beats living on the street, but there are times it would be nice to have a cozy and warm apartment or house to live in. But on my pay-check and the cost of housing in Southern California, that's not gonna happen soon. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 3/1/07, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > > I live in an apartment in house that has been converted to three > units. My landlord, who already lives in unit #2 gave me an eviction > notice last night, saying he needs my unit #3 for personal occupation. > > Verbally, he told me that he wants to occupy the place to renovate it > while he lives there, so he can sell the property later. I asked him > if he would like to trade units, but he declined. He also mentioned > wanting me out because my rent was so low. > > Evicting someone to jack the rent is illegal in Ontario where I live > (the owner must be occupying in "good faith" not to simply get a > tenant out. Moreover evictions for renovations require 120 days > notice, and I would have the first option of reoccupation upon their > completion. But I'm not certain I'm up for a fight right now. > > I'd have to be out by the end of April, so it would be starting to get > warm by then. I am considering I'm thinking about putting stuff into > storage and living in my van full time at least for the spring / > summer and perhaps fall. I'm doing my PhD so I have an office on > campus (with a couch for really cold nights) and ready access to safe > overnight parking as well as shower facilities. I'm also in a long > distance relationship right now so weekend would be spent back home in > Toronto with her. > > The biggest complication I see right now is my dog (he's 12 weeks > right now), and dating if this long distance thing does not work out. > > Thoughts? > > Chris