Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:59:47 -0800
From:         Ben S <phlogiston420@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      mysterious intermittent squeek from rear end

hi all, here is a problem that has been perplexing me and my mechanic... hopefully one of you has experienced something like this before.

a few weeks ago, fred's garage in redwood city, ca installed a new clutch and rebuilt tranny in my '86 westy. they seem like a very competent shope and i enjoyed dealing with them. my van is primarily used to shuttle people and gear between san francisco and south lake tahoe... on her second trip with the new clutch/tranny, i started to hear an odd rhythmic squeak from the back of the van. the noise disappeared as i got closer to home, but i brought it back to the shop just for peace of mind. they pulled off the wheels and rear brakes... checked the wheel bearings, cv joints, brakes, etc and found nothing. all they could tell me is that i was getting a lot of other noise from my front control arm bushings which i have put off replacing while i recover financially from the transmission purchase.

so then last weekend i went up to the mountain again... this time the noise started in again in earnest and was even louder. it continued for three days as i drove back and forth between my cabin and kirkwood. on the way home, it became so loud that my sister, driving her wrx behind me, heard it and thought it was coming from her car. i was just about to get worried, when the sound disappeared again. this was somewhere around folsom, so i was still over 100 miles from home. the sound did not occur again during the drive, or during any of my subsequent short drives.

the roads were dry during my entire return trip so i do not think the sound ceased due to something drying out. i was, however, coming down off a mountain... so maybe it is temperature related? barometric pressure? i am grabbing at straws here but something, which i doubt is moisture, caused this dramatic sound to do cease as i drove back to the city, on two seperate trips.

alright, on to my best description of the actual sound. it is not too dissimilar from the noise i hear from my creaking/squeaking front control arm bushings, except that the front end sound has more of a "back and forth" sort of repetition as the front suspension loads and unloads. the rear-end sound has more of an "around and around" repetition that sounds sort of like something that is spinning is rubbing against something rubber during part of its rotation, so that there is a distinct start and stop to the short noise, and the frequency of its repetition increases and decreases with road speed. also, the sound changes in pitch and intensity based on torque; ie, if i take my foot off the gas, it will change instantly, well before the vehicle starts to slow down. i also tried coasting at speed, and though the sound got a little quieter the moment i disengaged the clutch, it did not change at all as the engine settled down to idle. so i'm pretty sure it is something in the drivetrain and not the engine.

anyone have any ideas? i don't want to take it back to fred's while it is asymptomatic.... and i really can't figure out how it could be so loud and consistent for 3 days and then disappear completely once i got down off the mountain.

Ben.