Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:55:09 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Idle problem solved

My idle has often--like 3/4 of the time--up as high as 1700, usually 1200 and sometimes ranging up and down a few hundred. It's been happening since the fall, and I thought for a while that it might be related to the cold weather. But, it didn't improve when the weather warmed up.

I'll skip what mechanical stuff I took off the engine and cleaned, but it was everything connected with air intake. I cleaned and lubed the throttle stuff.

Today, I had an hour or so to deal with the problem (and another hour on the westy turn signals, but that's another post) and I went around the engine compartment, unplugging and replugging every connector I could find that I hadn't already checked three or four times until I felt the connections were clean. The connections were the temp I and temp II by the thermostat (it's a 2.1, obviously) and the AFM cable connectors both at the ACM and the "anti-bucking" pigtail halfway down the cable at what once was the original connector.

That did it. Idle at 1000 today, for the first time in many months.

Jim