Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:06:11 -0800
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remving the camping equipment and a source for paint

I gave paintscratch.com a try and here's what knowledge I gained from that experience.

If you are absolutely sure that your paint is original, you might be OK with the results. If you are unsure of the history of the van, beware! What happened to me was what I thought was original paint and some touch up with the same paint turned out to be a wrong assumption. Lacquer is what was used originally and that is what paintscratch offers. But enamel is what most body shops like to use. Lacquer destroys enamel and makes it look like the wrinkles on a old geezer. NOT GOOD! Thanks to some really crappy auto body shops out there, many vans like mine have both types of paint and cannot go back to the original lacquer finish. Only choice is enamel, from what I understand. Bottom line is don't waste you money on paintscratch (or any lacquer-based paint) if you think the area you want to paint is enamel. Wish I would have know that earlier! Now, who was the PO who allow some bozo to spray enamel on the original lacquer of my van? I am going to hunt you down and rub your nose in my bad paint job! :-o

PS The paintscratch paint matched neither my original finish nor the enamel finish. What's with that?

Keith O. 90 Westy Syncro "VikingWagen" Past VeeDubs in the family 1984 Westy "Brownie" 1980 PU diesel 1979 Rabbit 1963? 23 window Splitty 1965 Bus 1969 Bus 1959 Bug