Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:32:29 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anybody burning WVO in Illinois?-Fryeday rant

Wonder why they don't also tax the production of electricity in a hybrid as an alternative fuel? I've considered producing my own diesel and have experimented with small batches. I find that everywhere you look, people are a little bit afraid to come right out and say they are making it and using it. There's always the presence of a bureaucratic threat awaiting the production of biodiesel if it gets to be too popular. Illinois seems to the the only state so far that is not turning a blind eye towards the production of it.

On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:04 AM, David Clarkson wrote:

> save our money and feel good about pollution burping diesels > instead of having to buy Al Gore's right pocket to left pocket > carbon credits. I am a libertarian that believes that less > government is the best government.

Why do people react so negatively to credit trading? In my experience it means they usually don't understand it. It's something that has worked very well over the last few decades to reverse the loss of wetlands in this country, and I presume it could work equally well for other side-effects of consumption like carbon, stream degradation, etc. Yes, it does presume that people are going to continue to consume, but what rational solution wouldn't. It's a way that people who can manage NOT to pollute and who develop cleaner industrial processes can get rewarded for their efforts. Credit trading may not be the perfect solution, but we've got to have something in place today or there won't be much left in 25 years. And, like anything else, credit trading will depend a lot more on the motivations of the people implementing it than any inherent characteristics of credit trading. It doesn't have anything to do with big government, it has to do with fixing an imperfect market: the way things are done today, the real cost of pollution is hidden from most of society while being passed along to society for payment, while the people making the money from the imperfection are getting off for free.

It's time to stick it to them, not us.

Jim