Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:18:30 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Big end rod clearance 2.1 WBX

A little heat also helps loosen the varnish and lets the pin slide threw the piston. The major reason that the pin has become a press fit is that the wrist pin clip raises a ridge of aluminum next to the clips on the piston This becomes a real problem when you reinstall the pin into the piston. The pin needs to float in the piston in order to get it back into the rod bushing. You can not use a hammer to reinstall the pin. I have seen this done and it is not pretty. I hone the piston pin hole in the piston to remove the burr a scraper might help. One last note the piston needs to float on the pin and the pin needs to float in the bushing. pulling the pin threw the bushing can cause scratches and burrs.

I have rebuilt rods on the shelve new bolts new bushings no more than a 3 gram spread in weight and straight $140 a set exchange

Bob Donalds Boston Engine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 8:25 AM Subject: Re: Big end rod clearance 2.1 WBX