Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:16:19 +0000
From:         joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Experiences vs. GTI Experiences Thus Far (no worthwhile
              content)

Hi Folks,

I've been working on this 1992 GTI for about a month now, and a few things really jump out at me, after being out of the watercooled FWD VW world for eight years, then in the Vanagon world, now back in the watercooled world:

This GTI rattles. A LOT. Even after replacing motor mounts and tightening or replacing every one of 1,000 screws in the interior, it rattles. I have a long way to go in order to make it not rattle. Conversely, it took about a week of driving my Weekender to find the offending squeaks and straigtening them out.

The body panels, interior bits, suspension pieces are of a much lighter-duty construction. That makes sense, considering the smaller size I suppose, but it's hard to get used to. Smaller spaces to work, too. Although on the plus side, I can fit my GTI in the garage and use ramps, which is heavenly.

And most importantly--

There are numerous sources of information on MK2 Volkswagens, but it's damn near impossible to filter through the B.S. to find good, solid truths about specific problems, issues, modifications, etc.

It's like a thousand voices talking in a thousand languages and nobody's on the same page. Considering the fact that my GTI is California Digifant I, as opposed to the much more common Digi II, I am having a hard time getting straight information which, again on the plus side, has led me to deeply explore the Bentley and the car itself to formulate my own ideas.

I think I've been spoiled by the Vanagon List. Not only are the random conversations here generally thoughtful and well-informed, but the technical information is second to none.

I drive the noisy, rattling GTI and have a great time, but then I get into my tight, reasonably quiet, perfectly humming Subie 2.2 Vanagon, and I realize where my heart still lies.

Anybody know of a MkII VW mailing list with exactly the same knowledge and personality of the Vanagon List?

That's all, just a few thoughts.

Joe T.

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/