Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:43:12 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: 84 Vanagon Bursting Coolant Hoses

I agree that it's good insurance to replace all those hoses, but given what's going on with Jack's engine, it's just too weird that the old hoses are choosing to pop in sequence every time he drive it. I have 25-year-old hoses on my diesel, and the only time they have been a problem is when the engine had an overheating problem. On my 90, yes, two in the same hot summer signaled that some hose attention was due, but this everyday thing points to a problem that need to be fixed.

Jack, are you losing coolant (obviously when the hoses blow you are, but are you losing it day to day?) Has your coolant light been blinking? Dennis' advice to replace the cap is ten bucks well spent. But to determine if you have a head leak, do this:

Let the van sit overnight, or at least during the day until you know the engine is cold. Start it up and shut it off after thirty seconds. Go quickly to the engine compartment and remove the cap from the plastic tank. Does it burp? If it does, you've got a head leak, because running that short time won't warm the system to create pressure from normal heating. When you do that, look in at the coolant (though this may not work for a system that's been refilled as many times as yours has lately) and see if it looks dirty, or if the surface is discolored. If combustion gases are reaching the coolant from a leaking head, the coolant will show it.

If your engine passes the burp test, and you've got a new cap, then you either have a stuck thermostat (I've had several, including a very strange metal failure on my wife's Acura's thermostat that caused all kinds of problems) or you have a stopped up radiator. If the problem came on quickly, it's probably not the radiator. For the price of a thermostat, and the fact that they are easy to change if the screws into the plastic housing are not rusted away, it's worth trying before going any further.

Unless you failed the burp test. Then it's head/head gasket time.

Jim