Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:58:17 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Big end rod clearance 2.1 WBX
Comments: To: donalds1@VERIZON.NET

This guy know what his doing... that my boy!!!!

USE HEAT to remove pin (small torch work fine but you need to bent it to reach the underside of the piston), it will come out easily when hot, after pistons are out, you can use a wiremesh dremel to smooth the pin hole entry where the clip is, the pin will slide just with a light push.

Bob is a rebuilder, so don't listen to him as for the botom end... he wan't to do your engine, he he he, seriously, the filler gauge give you an idea on the rods condition but like Bob stated, not much on the ovality of those.

On very high millage engine, you should open the case, but i understand that you don't want to do so, it could imply a lot more money, so my trick is the following but remember that it take some experience to do so, as i have seen oval big end rod i have now a good feel when i shake the rods arounds, up, down, left right, it is normal for the rod to move a bit left and right, but the movement must stay parallel to the crank, if the rod feel loose and you have doubt about this one "sluggish" movement, send the core to Bob, ha ha ha....

Lately i have open 6 core, only one was showing ovality/wear (and believe me, those rod were loose (it remind me that i have a video of this one!!!), the cam was pitted like hell and the small end bushing were craked), so you have 1/6 chance of having some... he he he. Seriously (sorry, i'm having problem with this word today), even Bob will tell you that the Wasser botom end is solid, but you are taking a chance not openning the core on very high millage van. On the other end i completely understand why, my Tornado Red engine was fully fully rebuilt, you don't want to see the bill!!!

The good news, here in the shop i mostly do top-end with a 100% success.. for now :-))), but i check those engine (inside) carefully before doing so (especially the 2.0L Air Cool who very often have loose gear on cam). The other customers have 2 choice, have the bottom end rebuilt or buy a good use core (i have a lot).

My conclusion, most Wasser and Type2 are good for 1 top-end before an overall.

Ben

""""A little heat also helps loosen the varnish and lets the pin slide threw the piston. The major reason that the pin has become a press fit is that the wrist pin clip raises a ridge of aluminum next to the clips on the piston This becomes a real problem when you reinstall the pin into the piston. The pin needs to float in the piston in order to get it back into the rod bushing. You can not use a hammer to reinstall the pin. I have seen this done and it is not pretty. I hone the piston pin hole in the piston to remove the burr a scraper might help. One last note the piston needs to float on the pin and the pin needs to float in the bushing. pulling the pin threw the bushing can cause scratches and burrs.""""