Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:14:09 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Working on possibility of adding tilt steering. Info needed.
Comments: To: Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Hello Folks,

A few of us have chatted this "improvement" in the past and including most recently at the prodding of Joy, IIRC. "Prodding of Joy...." I'm glad I'm not dyslexic. Anyway, I as inspired by said recent discussion to look into some parts which have been languishing on the ole "wannadomebe" shelf.

Here's what I got. I have a tilt column from an early 90's Golf. I was originally discouraged after looking at all the wiring that needed to be done. Today I realized, there is no apparent need to use the control stalks from the Vanagon. Once I took all that stuff off, the bare column look promisingly similar to the Vanagon column. The Golf upper bracket would need to be removed. That still leaves the pivoting bracket tilt lock mechanism in place. Looks easy enough to make a smaller bracket to fit the column to the dash. Purdy darn close to where it needs to go. Now the lower bracket has a u-shaped bracket as a lower pivot. I'm thinking a large flat bottom u-bolt or some such bracket would be very easy to make. The only issue now is I estimate that the Golf column is about 6 inches too long.

Here's what I need info on:

1) How long is the distance between the top bolt of the Vanagon column to the end of the shaft? I don't have one out of a van to inspect.

2) How is the lower pivot on the 90-91 Golf connected.

3) How is the steering shaft connected as the bottom in the Golf. I'm assuming same as Vanagons.

Any info will help move this project forward.

TIA,

BenT www.vanagoncafe.info

-- BenT