Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:05:09 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Working on possibility of adding tilt steering. Info
              needed.
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

On 3/10/07, Scott Daniel - <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > Well Ben , hope you get some useful answers to your questions, > > But sounds to me like you are breaking new ground here. > > Like we're waiting to hear from you how to do it ! > > It can be done, for sure, ultimately. > > I wonder if an earlier than 90's Golf/Rabbit might have a more > similar-to-vanagon steering column arrangement , considering that the > vanagon steering column is an 80's era deal. > > Scott

Well, Scott, I've answered some of my questions. I went to a local VW shop here called Tassi, Inc. They let me borrow a Vanagon column so I can make some measurements. As I suspected, the Golf tilt column is about 6 inches longer. It was also fortuitous that my buddy Cy showed up with his 91 GTI with tilt steering. The bottom has a u-joint I had misplaced and forgot about until I inspected Cy's GTI. The bad news is that adds even more length.

The only thing I was unable to answer is how the bottom bracket is attached. I looked over Cy's GTI but could only see some sort of bolt system at the bottom. It looks like there is another bracket down there. Unfortunately, I was did not a flashlight and ran out of daylight. If I can figure out exactly how it goes together at that bracket, I should be able to determine how much to shorten the shaft or possibly re-orient the column to fit.

I am not aware of any early Rabbit having tilt steering. I am already using am early 90's Golf column as I mentioned in the previous post.

I'll report back here if I make any further progress.

Cheers,

BenT www.vanagoncafe.com