Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:16:16 -0800
From:         aatransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>
Subject:      Zetec Bostig test drive..long
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Drove a syncro with a newly installed Bostig conversion this afternoon. I think I have driven most every conversion in my career and this is definitely a winner. Personally I am not a diesel fanatic although there is a lot to be said about the fuel economy and reliability...just not my cup of tea. I don't enjoy driving the Tiico setup at all.. too buzzy in my opinion. I love the various Subie motors..The 2.2 is a rock..the 2.5 has some grunt..and the 3.3 is unbelievable in the torque department, but a tight fit to be sure. George, the tech at Smallcar does a nice job and has done a pile of them. I have talked to Hans and John at Vanaru on many occasions and the are right guys. 5 cyls, V-6's and all the rest are too rare to really be counted, but I like the early 5 bangers bottom end torque...start out in 2nd and shift to 4th..nice. Now...the Zetec... I have seen the kit on the shop floor and am impressed at the simplicity and thought behind it all...bags and parts labeled and tagged..Looks like Its pretty much a no brainer. Comes with a scan tool and obd plug under the dash. On this particular 87 syncro, I measured 9 1/2 in of ground clearance...the same as on my stock syncro westy...On a carat version, I think, is 1 1/2 in lower because the van is that much lower stock. I was told those come with 1" spring spacers to help that. It has a pile of room and fits under the lid. As with many...the timing belt replacement would be a challenge, but then what else is new these days. Driving was nice...Feels like a smooth, quiet wbx'er in the low 2 gears. I could hear some air cleaner noise on accel, but its very tolerable and still better than the 2.1. 3rd and 4th around town were "OK" in the 2500 to 3000 RPM ranges...not a rocket ship, but smooth and feeling like a subie 2.2 as far as acceleration. Over 3000 and at higher speeds, it was sweet with plenty of power to fly down the highway. These motors get more of their HP at the higher rpm ranges than some, but they handle it very well...Can't compare them to the bigger 2.5's pulling power as they only have about 135HP vs the 165 of the 2.5..BUT..the install and conversion has got to be much easier (never done either personally) And with an engine that is pretty much bullet proof with its 100K warranty.. I think it may be one of the top choices available...Super or turbo charged would be the only better setup I think for those of us with a lead foot. The other nice thing is that the transmission would not have to have taller gearing as this engine likes the higher rpm.(bad for me though) Mind you, these are just my impressions after a short run, but I am sold...

Daryl of AA Transaxle