Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:32:52 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Zetec Bostig test drive..long
Comments: To: Daryl AATransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>

Very good report Daryl, short (not long like you said) and sweet, you don't "Sink" other conversion company but just give a good opinion on a test drive, i'm a good friend of Hans and i have driven their Carat 2.2 for 2 month and i was more than satisfied power wise and fuel wise, on top it was an automatic transmission, so it was easy to reach the 4000 rpm and that was a bit annoying. I also tested the 2.5 in a auto camper, simply amazing power, more than needed most of the time. For me any 4 speed Subi would need one of your high gear tranny to be perfect.

Now come Bostig... Jim is a cool dude, i have many questions from my customers on their conversion so often i need some answers from Jim, that is why i did my "engine conversion page" (soon in English), i like the conversion design and the power curve of the ZTEC, you answered some of my questions as to: it was similar in some way to the 2.2L, sadly, the 2.2L is getting old also.

My choice would probably be the rock solid 2.2L, for one reason, fuel economy VS power when needed or the Bostig. I feel that the 2.5 is not that good on fuel (i drove a 2.5 car for 3 weeks).

If i could get a good and safe 25/30+ HP out of a wasser i would do so, but wile rebuilding my Tornado red engine, WE (yes, we mean a few tech/engine tunner shop/friend) came to the conclusion that we would never get more than 120 SAFE hp out of that engine. And that is where my engine is about now.

So for me, it's the last ever Wasser i will drive... I'm sold to Vanaru and/or Bostig, it is the future of Vanagon. Not only because they are modern engine (reliability) but also for the 40+ hp in it, it make the vanagon feel like a pleasant van to drive. NO VW engine is going back in my van, never! Very soon Daryl you will have my first order, an high gear tranny for me and a stock one as a spare unit for my customers in need.

I have great respect for all you guys, including the people from GoWesty, B.Bob, Vancafe, Busdepot and some other who decided to make a living "around that great van" so we can drive it for a long time.

So for those who find those conversions expensive, go see the price tag on modern compact camper van (60+K), maby you will see that it's not so bad to fully rebuilt a Vanagon with a good modern power plant! My van will reach an easy 30k with a conversion + a rebuilt tranny, but for me, it will be the perfect modern compact camper, something the camper market doesn't have to offer even in 2007. Even a Roadtrek is not that easy to park downtown, as for the New West built in Quebec, still to expensive (starting at 49k). http://www.quebecweb.com/newwest/images/Hi-Tech%20extreme.JPG http://www.quebecweb.com/newwest/SPORT_a.html

Amen Ben