Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:59:00 -0500
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Bull Bars
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com>

next time you have that front bumper off to polish it.. (4or2 10mm bolts wrench size not thread size) you will know that it has NOTHING to do with crash worthyness and or absorbtion. heck, grab a neighbor and his buddy, offer them a 6pack of old millwater beer conditional on a pinata' session..

bet the beer gets drank, and your neighbor and buddy mostly unscathed.. with a wrecked 'bumper skin'

hell i'd let you choose the fornt or rear skin if it'd make you feel better..

most personal opinions against brush gaurds are in event of minor bumps coming in contact with the body creating additional undue damage.. IMO thats mostly opinion, in my experiance with my isuzu trooper the brush gaurd has protected my grill, lights, and paint from dozens of errant windblown shopping carts left carelessly unattended in civilized shopping centers. it has also been used to push an occasional disabled vehicle into my garage, as well as protect as intended from brush and wildlife.

I'll take the ding/dent of a brush gaurd vs a deer thru the radiator anyday.. at least i'd still be able to continue home and not be in the middle of nowhere thousands of miles from home (probably the most likely scenario) front radiator and light protection is high on my spring van todo list.

I'll dig up a photo tonight.. heck I needed somplace to mount my pintle hitch to move my firewood trailer during winter preparation season. you can see on the attached image that I used a 2" carrier, this was Westies @ Watkins and I brought probably a few hundred pounds of firewood for the campfire.. handled fine, but dang it rattled on the way home. I intend to build a flip down rack into my back bumper with this springs improvements.

Dan in snow bound upstate NY.