Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:20:20 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: SUDDEN POWER STEERING FAILURE
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

The fluid is indeed going somewhere. I'd first check the gaiters (bellows) on the power steering rack. They can fill up without leaking it to the ground.

The noise from the pump is due to cavitation and doesn't mean that the pump is bad ... it is probably just low on fluid.

As to a tow ... all you really need to do is remove the PS belt so the pump doesn't turn and then just drive it. With the pump out of the circuit it will be harder to steer but nothing will be damaged by doing so.

Mike

Anthony Egeln wrote: > I was backing my rig into the driveway last night and as I came to a stop the power steering just completely disappeared. It's making a major howl when I turn the wheel, and some when at rest, not just the baby squeal the power steering makes when the fluid is down. I checked the PS fluid tank and it was down about a half inch, but after filling it up and starting the engine, the level just gurgled down and away. I filled it again until I ran out of fluid, and again, upon starting, the level dropped again. I had just checked it a couple of weeks ago and the level was right at the max line. What I don't understand is where is the fluid going? There are no puddles of any sort under the vehicle, and there haven't been any at all in recent months. > Since the howl seems to be coming from the pump, I will assume the pump failed completely, and I'll have to call for a tow....but where did the fluid go? Also, I'm wondering if the VC contributed to the demise of the PS pump. I sort of doubt it because the steering only had a tiny bit of binding, and little noise in very tight turns. I think the VC was healthy. I can't complain that it died as I parked it in my driveway, but that is also sort of curious. > Anthony > '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) > > > --------------------------------- > 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time > with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. >