Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:43:31 -0700
From:         Tom Sinclair <neeemo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: NY Times article about traveling in a westy
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>

Chris Dixon has written a couple articles on Westies for the Times.

Here is the text:

March 9, 2007 California Coasting By CHRIS DIXON

UNDER a full moon, Jalama Beach was stunning. Bathed in the pale lunar glow, the heaving black Pacific washed onto a light, sandy beach. To the north, a curve of coastline was backed by imposing mountains, massive dark hulks in the dim light. Rolling ranchland, dotted with oaks just visible against the night sky, spread out to the east and south.

This was the California coast, where a night in a hotel in the fabled beach towns between San Francisco and San Diego might run hundreds of dollars, and a week in even a modest beach house would cost $1,500 to $4,000. But I had found oceanside accommodations for $18.

At Jalama Beach County Park, operated by Santa Barbara County, $18 bought a night in the park campground, the only publicly accessible spot on this wild stretch of coast for 40 miles. In summer, staying there — or at any of the other public beach campgrounds in California — would be almost impossible. Hordes of vacationers snap up/ the campsites the moment reservations for the weeks from Memorial Day and Labor Day become available. Those who do get spots find themselves packed in with other campers. But we — my wife, Quinn, and I and our 18-month-old daughter, Lucy — traveled at the end of January. For the most part, we found it was possible simply to drive up to the gate a few hours before sunset and rent a choice site.

Sure, this was winter camping, but we toured the southernmost campgrounds and experienced sunny days with highs in the 60s, 70s, even 80s, great for wetsuit surfing, beachcombing and side trips into beach towns like Malibu and Laguna Beach. At night, when temperatures dropped into the 40s, we could bundle up to walk on the moonlit sand or stay snug in one of the most economical forms of camping accommodation available — a reconditioned 1973 Volkswagen camper van.

We had rented our van from Bill Staggs, an Orange County surfer whose company, Vintage Surfari Wagons, owns a small fleet of these retro relics, fully outfitted, roadworthy and refurbished. The price was $89 a day, and driving this funky motor home seemed an ideal way to meander along the Pacific Coast Highway.

We started between San Diego and Los Angeles and worked north, finding a succession of well-equipped campgrounds, all with hot showers, inviting fire pits and separate sections for huge R.V.’s and small campers or tents. Everywhere, the beaches were beautiful and serene.

San Onofre

Nestled between the sprawling Camp Pendleton Marine base and the charming surf-centered town of San Clemente, the San Onofre State Beach park runs roughly four miles from Cotton’s Point, the site of the Western White House of President Richard M. Nixon, southward through a series of famed surfing breaks known as the Trestles before reaching the mile-long, palm-lined, thatched-hut paradise at the San Onofre Surfing Beach. Its wild strand is interrupted only by the ominous domes of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station before continuing south through a long stretch of untamed but easily accessible beaches known as the Trails.

We reached the surfing beach in midafternoon on a Sunday. The crowd was sparse and the sky sunny. I threw on my wetsuit and paddled out in 60-degree water. I dropped into my first wave, and a dolphin rocketed through the water alongside me. A couple of hours later, Quinn and I were toasting the setting sun with chardonnay.

The San Mateo campground, one of two at this park, is tucked into an unspoiled, oak-lined river valley. Though little more than a mile from the beach, and separated from it by Interstate 5, it seems a world away. On a peaceful Sunday night, the distant hum of traffic was drowned out by guitar strumming from a neighboring campsite and regular howls from a distant pack of coyotes.

I crept out of the van before sunrise the next morning, eager to surf in front of the former Nixon estate. I shared the mile-and-a-half-long chaparral-lined trail to the beach (it crosses under the freeway along the banks of San Mateo Creek) with scores of rabbits, an owl and a coyote. After an hour of flawless waves, I hiked back, spotting a bobcat and a covey of startled quail.

San Onofre is California’s fifth-most-popular state park, but a proposed six-lane toll road would cross near the campground. If it is approved, opponents say, the landscape will be irrevocably altered. We were glad to have seen it before that happens.

Leo Carrillo

About 100 miles up the Pacific Coast Highway from San Onofre, Leo Carrillo State Park sits at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains along the oak and sycamore-shaded Arroyo Sequit, which is usually a dry creek bed but can become a torrent after winter storms. The arroyo meets the Pacific at a mile-long, mountain-shadowed crescent of beach with an often crowded surfing break and vast, anemone-filled tide pools, whose denizens positively fascinated Lucy.

We were completely alone on the beach and nearly so in the campground, which is hidden among trees at the base of a long, verdant canyon.

We parked and set up near the streambed. After a dinner cooked over the camper’s propane stove, we settled in for sleep — the camper has a double bed that folds out of the back seat and a bunk in the pop top. Owls and coyotes serenaded us to sleep.

The next morning, we roamed the densely forested banks of the arroyo. The trees were filled with bluebirds and a shrieking flock of wild green parrots, which were regarded with some disdain by a large red-tailed hawk.

(The park, by the way, was named for a California conservationist and actor, who is perhaps best known for his role as Pancho in the 1950s TV series “The Cisco Kid.”)

Carpinteria

The shore at Carpinteria State Beach has been called the place where asphalt meets the sea — not because of some modern roadway, but in honor of an eons-old tar pit that nature has placed right in front of one of the town’s better surf spots. Chumash Indians once used the tar to seal their canoes. Close to the water, Lucy dug in soft sand, picked daisies, chased scores of gulls and gawked at a great blue heron stalking the dunes.

In Carpinteria itself, a quirky but sophisticated little beach town about 13 miles south of Santa Barbara, we strolled along Linden Avenue, admiring the quaint shops, Craftsman homes and century-old palm trees all set against the 4,000-foot Santa Ynez Mountains. At the Rincon Designs surf shop, Lucy tried on about 10 pairs of toddler-size flip-flops.

At the campground, we found another couple, Libba and Laurie Padgett, staying in a VW camper — a 1989 Westfalia with an odometer reading of 385,000 kilometers (239,228 miles). The Padgetts had used it for a decade to make trips from their home in Powell River, British Columbia, to the desert Southwest. In 1975, in an earlier VW microbus, they drove with their four children across Mexico. “They were all blond, and we got a lot of attention,” Mr. Padgett said. “There was love everywhere we went.”

Of the campgrounds they’d visited, Mr. Padgett judged Carpinteria to be perhaps his favorite. “It’s beautiful here, and everything is so convenient to town,” he said. “And this town hasn’t changed much through the years, but the rest of California is so different.”

Jalama Beach

The lonely, winding 14-mile road off the Pacific Coast Highway leading to Jalama Beach County Park was spooky but majestic for after-dark arrival. To the north of this park is the mountainous Vandenburg Air Force Base; to the south are the gates of the 25,000-acre Bixby Ranch — a place of sweeping foothills, happy cows and long surf breaks — which was recently sold to an investment group for a reported $140 million.

The roar of the ocean boomed through the van’s open top early the next morning. In the soft sand outside were the pawprints of at least three raccoons that had been sniffing around for a leftover. Daylight offered a clearer picture of the rocky, windswept shore. This tiny 22-acre park has to be one of the prettiest campgrounds in all the West.

Out on the chilly beach, a bundled-up group of campers oohed and aahed at the huge westerly swell. Nearby, some high-school-age surfers from Los Angeles huddled around a huge pan of sizzling bacon and prepared to do some surfing. Charlie Piechowski, 17, said he had followed the news of the ranch sale and hoped that it would mean more public access to well-known, difficult-to-reach breaks like Cojo and Government Points.

Nancy Aardweg, the manager of the park’s tiny general store, which also has a fine restaurant, said that some local people were concerned that the sale of the ranch might usher in a big development, changing the nature of this wild place.

The restaurant’s walls double as a museum, with shelves holding the history of Jalama in fossils, photographs and words. There, the September 1923 Honda Point Disaster, the Navy’s worst navigational accident, is immortalized in pages from The Lompoc Record: “The ships were going at such terrific speed when they hit that they bounded on top of the low reefs and tore great holes in their bottoms.” (Twenty-three sailors died and seven nearly new destroyers were lost in the dense fog near the Santa Barbara Channel.)

The air was chilly, and I took a walk alone along the beach toward the Tarantulas, an ominously named reef-bottomed surf break two miles south. Along the way, shells, driftwood, river stones and washed-up kelp lay below questionably stable sandstone cliffs. Throngs of tittering little shorebirds dug for food in the sand.

Offshore, dolphins rode and dived, and I imagined a shipwrecked sailor struggling ashore. I like to surf, but I wanted no part of these enormous, frigid waves. The grandeur of the scenery was enough.

____________________________________________________________________________________ No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail